From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to import a web service into labview and make the assembly strong named signed?

I have used the web services tool to import my .net project files. I am then putting them into clearcase. In order for my dll's to work on a network im getting the error that they need to strong named signed. Is there anyway of strong name signing them with in the web services tool, or modifying the dll's after they've been created? Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,738 Views)

Hi,

Can you explain a little more about how you are using the web services tool and how it integrates into LabVIEW?

Thanks,

David B

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,720 Views)

Go to Tools>>Import>>Web Services.  Now import any web service.  As you go through that process at some point an assembly is generated.  How do you get that assembly to be strong signed so you can call it from a shared drive?  Is LV even capable of doing that?

I know that when you generate Interop assemblies from the build tool you can strong sign the assembly.  However, not sure how to enforce the Import Web Service tool to do that.

I'm working with alright_meow on this issue.

Thanks,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,702 Views)

Hi all,

Have you tried using it on a shared drive already?  Did that cause issues?

Thanks,

David B

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,679 Views)

Yes. and Yes.

It is definitely related to the fact that it is on a shared drive.  We can run locally just fine.

We know that if we could get the assembly strong signed then we can use the .NET utility to register the assembly for the machine and run it from the shared drive.  However, since we didn't create the assemble (the LV import web service utility did) then we don't have the ability to strong sign it.

Thanks,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,656 Views)

Hi all,

What kind of file are you trying to import?  Is it an .xml file?  The help file for importing a web service mentions that the URL must point to a valid WSDL which is an xml format.  Is your project going to be based on the shared drive?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,638 Views)

dbell0971,

I appreciate your willilngness to help on this issue.  However, it doesn't seem like we are on the same page here.

When you import a webservice it creates an assembly.  That assembly is .NET.  In general you cannot run an assembly on a shared drive unless it is "trusted".  You can make the assembly trusted by adding some classes and properties to it (i.e. strong signing it)- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xc31ft41.aspx

However, since WE are not creating the assembly, LabVIEW is, then we don't have the source code so we can't just strong sign it. 

The question is simple- Can the Import Web Service Utility strong sign the assembly it creates?

Thanks,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 7 of 8
(2,617 Views)

Hi,

After looking through the documentation, I don't believe that there is a way to strongly sign it through the import wizard.  There may be a way to find that assembly and to try to sign it, but I'm unsure as to how to do that.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,605 Views)