From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement multiple queues in one circular buffer?

Spoiler

Recently I have successfully shared data of 2D array among different vis in a project, using circular buffer.

However, there is only one circular buffer allowed in one project for one data type.

I want different vis, running and getting data from circular buffer in different speed, all getting data as a queue from circular buffer. Like the circular buffer's read continuous mode.

The problem is that after a vi reads in continuous mode, the read data is deleted from the circular buffer. Then other vis can not use them any more and can not keep track where they should begin to read again.

So if it is possible that there are multiple pointers or queues in circular buffer to keep track the progress of different vis, and data only update when it gets input from DAQ but not deleted when read?   

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,423 Views)

Sounds like what you really want is either a Notifier or a DVR (Data Value Reference).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,409 Views)

@LawrenceChong wrote:
Spoiler

Recently I have successfully shared data of 2D array among different vis in a project, using circular buffer.

However, there is only one circular buffer allowed in one project for one data type.

I want different vis, running and getting data from circular buffer in different speed, all getting data as a queue from circular buffer. Like the circular buffer's read continuous mode.

The problem is that after a vi reads in continuous mode, the read data is deleted from the circular buffer. Then other vis can not use them any more and can not keep track where they should begin to read again.

So if it is possible that there are multiple pointers or queues in circular buffer to keep track the progress of different vis, and data only update when it gets input from DAQ but not deleted when read?   

THe last time I wrote a multi-subscriber cirular buffer was in LV 6. Since then I have found that polymorphic queues perform much better so I now use multiple queues. One queue for each subscriber of the data. The subscribers are then responsible for maintaining their own histories.

So just use multiple queues.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,405 Views)