LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get ethernet packet directly from adaper in labview6.1

I want to get the ethernet packet directly from adaper directly. Which control or function should I use?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,739 Views)
If you really need to work with raw ethernet frames, I think you'll want to turn to something outside of built-in LabVIEW functionality.

One approach would be to purchase or download dedicated packet-capture (aka packet sniffer, network monitor) software that provides a developer API (e.g. a DLL with various packet access/filtering/analysis functions), then access that API from LabVIEW (e.g. by using the Call Library Function Node).

Here's one such piece of software, called WinPCap:
http://winpcap.polito.it/

You didn't give many details about your application.
So, I'm going to get up on my soapbox for a moment and urge you to reconsider whether you really need to go this low-level. I'd suggest carefully defining your goal and making sure you can't a
chieve it with higher-level functions like TCP Read and TCP Write in LabVIEW.

Best Regards,
John Lum
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(2,739 Views)
John,

My project requires the raw ethernet capture and sending because we use our own propritory protocol rather than TCP/IP.

Your answer is exactly what I want. Here is coming two more:

1. Does Ni plan to add capture raw ethernet packet function in further Labview release?

2. Is there any existing VI or function I can download or buy to get the raw ethernet packet instead of building from scrach from .dll lib?

Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,739 Views)
Hui,

Answers to your questions:

1. I won't pretend that I know every detail of the LabVIEW product roadmap, but I know enough about the product philosophy that I think it's very unlikely that this would ever be a built-in feature with LabVIEW.

2. Some third-party might have produced such a thing, but I'm not aware of it. I did a search on the Info-LabVIEW archives (another discussion forum for LabVIEW users), and found this, which agrees pretty well with what I've suggested:

http://messages.info-labview.org/2002/06/04/03.html

You might try browsing or searching through the third-party Alliance integrators on the NI Web site (ni.com/alliance) to see if anyone has existing products that are similar to what you need.

Regards,
John
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,739 Views)