From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get GPIB traffic between other bus members?

Hello,

i have computer_A connected via GPIB to an instrument to read/write SCPI.

Now i want to use computer_B that is connected also to the GPIB-Bus to only log all messages that are sent over the bus of computer_A and instrument.

How can this be done using Labview?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,304 Views)

So you basically want a GPIB "sniffer"

I believe NI has that functionality built in to GPIB+ cards using NI-GPIB Analyzer software

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 2 of 5
(1,259 Views)

Yes, i need a sniffer like Wireshark for LAN.

Unfortunally i dont have a + card.

How can i do this with a "normal" GPIB interface?

I dont need the funcionality of the analyzer software.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,254 Views)

I guess it depends on what you are trying to capture. If you are trying to reverse engineer another piece of software then you are going to need a GPIB interface that supports sniffing. Because although all the data is on the bus a proper GPIB device ignores everything not addressed to it (with a few exceptions). Even when a GPIB device is designated a "Listener" it only "listens" to data sent to its GPIB address.

If it's another LabVIEW program you are trying to sniff (like for errors)  NI I/O Trace (used to be called NI-Spy) might be all you need. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,247 Views)

I need to see the scpi commands that are sent from the other PC which has no Windows and no Max, no io-trace, no whatever installed.

The running program there has no sourcecode anymore. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,230 Views)