LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get CPU speed on RT devices (PXIE-8115)

I have a RDTSC function but apparently on newer processors is counts only with the "nominal" CPU frequency (in my case always 2.5 GHz).

Is there any way to get the ACTUAL CPU frequency (mine should be up to 3.1 GHz) in order to validate the turbo speed of the CPU?  Non-programmatic ways are also OK as it's purely a debugging tool.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,559 Views)

system-info-cpu-speed.png

<edit> sorry, but the "System Initialize" and the first property node should be outside the loop, and closed afterwards </edit>

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
Message 2 of 13
(3,509 Views)

For the life of me I cannot find the paorperty for CPU Speed.  Can you tell me where it's hidden?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,495 Views)

drag and drop the snippet onto a new vi, and then follow the selection.

you have to use the system thingy and then with a property node "system resource" and only then will you find the "cpu speed"

regards

<edit> but i would take the values with a grain of salt, bc windows task manager sais 3.6GHz but the values i get are about 2.6GHz when maxed out, on idle task manager and vi say the same .. like 800MHz</edit>

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,491 Views)

System 8115 no CPU Speed.png

I'm not running Windows, I'm running PharLap ETS 13.1.

As you can see, there's no entry for CPU Speed under the expected menu....

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,483 Views)

that is strange. this is what it looks for me.

cpu-speed.png

and we both have the RT stuff installed, maybe it is not available with PXIE

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,475 Views)

But I have LV 2015 SP1, you have 2016. Maybe its only in newer versions.....

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,472 Views)

no, i have used the same way on labview 2014

and i tested on my windows dev machine .. so it shouldn't be because of PXIE.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,470 Views)

Hi Intaris,

it's not depending on the LabVIEW version, since that property should come from the NI System Configuration API.

Which version do you use? Mine is 16.0.

CPU speed property.png

Can you drop that in your LabVIEW 2015? Is the property working or is the code not executable?

Best regards,
Christoph

Staff Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
Message 9 of 13
(3,452 Views)

Hmm, for a one-off maybe I can do the 2016 driver but since this is on a system we ship to customers with pre-installed 2015 environment, it's not a possibility for an on-going solution.  Shame.

Still, I can at least test the hardware specifically by trying out the 2016 version of the system configuration and see if the hardware is doing what it should.  Then I will simply need to revert.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,447 Views)