LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to eliminate the delay in Xcontrol?

I hoped that someone from NI would go on in documenting X-controls.
The dual mode thermometer is a nice example but not enough to get a good idea of what is going on.
e.g. Which events can be handled by an Xcontrol, and what is the exact meaning.
e.g. LabVIEW calls these events when someone clicks somewhere, what is the order of events calling my Xcontrol.

some simple questions and hoping for more background and more examples

Although I made it to a LabVIEW Architect and champion, I know I have a lot to learn

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 11 of 16
(1,062 Views)

@Albert Geven wrote:

The dual mode thermometer is a nice example but not enough to get a good idea of what is going on.
e.g. Which events can be handled by an Xcontrol, and what is the exact meaning.
e.g. LabVIEW calls these events when someone clicks somewhere, what is the order of events calling my Xcontrol.

some simple questions and hoping for more background and more examples

Although I made it to a LabVIEW Architect and champion, I know I have a lot to learn

Maybe a webinar about them with some examples that can be developed and/or downloaded.  NI is doing all sorts of customer education and this would be a great topic for a presentation.

Bob Young

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,050 Views)
Why is it improper to make a control in the Xcontrol blinking? In my idea, I want to make Xcontrol as a display unit with several indicators and controls in, so it will be easy to duplicate for large system architecture.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LabVIEW 8.20程序设计从入门到精通已经出版,敬请关注!
欢迎访问LabVIEW学习乐园: http://labviewstudy.blog.edu.cn
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,045 Views)

ztyaner11 wrote:
Why is it improper to make a control in the Xcontrol blinking?

Have you tried making an xcontrol property for this instead?

Albert Geven wrote:

What's primarily needed is a richer set of xcontrol examples in the example finder.

Xcontrol are a somewhat advanced feature and their complexity arises from their flexibility. I am OK with the current choice to place all instructions inside a blank xcontrol as comments, users just need to read and understand them. 😉 Also, the online help contains about 14 pages of instructions.

Then there is also the excellent xcontrol application note. 🙂

Maybe there should be a discussion section of misconceptions, caveats and typical beginner mistakes.

Message 14 of 16
(1,036 Views)
ztyaner11 , I now quickly glanced at your first example (please don't make different attachments that all have the same name!!!) and have some simple comments.
  1. First of all, please read the above mentioned  xcontrol application note in full. Especially familiarize yourself with the puropse of the timeout case, you are using it wrong.
  2. You still have not explained why you need blinking. Should it blink always? sometimes?
  3. From some casual testing, it seems that the blinking property cannot be used for objects xcontrols, I am not sure why.
  4. As an alternative, I have modified your xcontrol so it changes color if the value is larger than five. Maybe you can do something along these lines for your purpose. (Please note that this was a very hurried attempt, so there might be loose ends in the code). Still, it should show the general principle.

Let me know if you have questions. (And yes, the attached file is a true zip file).

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,023 Views)

Thank you for your warm-hearted help, maybe I made a mistake in using Xcontrol, But I already implemented a large system with Xcontrol, in the system I need to monitor and control several VMECrates(each crate with same function and facade), my idea is integrating all the functions and user interface(with several indicators and controls) in an Xcontrol so that it is easily to add or remove a crate from the whole system but with nearly no change to the whole system block diagram. 

Yes, it's possible to use background color as alarm caution, but will that be better if the indicator blinks when alarm happens?

So I just want to recommend if the Xcontrol can run in an independent thread once it start to run. Maybe this feature can be wraped in another kind of control in the next version of LV, eg. Ycontrol?Smiley Tongue

帖子被ztyaner11在04-14-2006 10:07 PM时编辑过了

帖子被ztyaner11在04-14-2006 10:12 PM时编辑过了

帖子被ztyaner11在04-14-2006 10:13 PM时编辑过了

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LabVIEW 8.20程序设计从入门到精通已经出版,敬请关注!
欢迎访问LabVIEW学习乐园: http://labviewstudy.blog.edu.cn
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,021 Views)