LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do a Repair Install with NI Package Manager

Hi,

I have a broken LabVIEW 2014 install, when I try to open the NI example finder from the LabVIEW IDE menu system.

I have had this problem a few years ago when installing lots of different version nof LabVIEW and playing with Beta's. In the past this was easy to solve by doing a Repair on the installation as shown in the Knowledge based article below.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2A853C9ECC0AA98286257560007D57AB

However, trying this now I have 2017 installed and the NI Package Manager there no longer seems to be a Repair option. 

Any suggestions please, I really really do NOT want to do a complete uninstall and reinstall as I am in the middle of a important project.

regards 

Danny

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
Message 1 of 10
(8,671 Views)

Hi Danny,

Unfortunately here is no way to repair products in NI Package Manager.This is a known issue (#644626 at NI Package Manager Known Issues).

The best way to 'repair' is to uninstall and reinstall.

If this really isn't a possibility you can first uninstall all the 2017 and NXG products through Package Manager, and at the end Package Manager itself. (Package Manager also has its own entry next to the National Instruments Software in Add/Remove Programs window.) This will allow the Add/Remove Programs functionality for NI Software to go back to what it used to be.

I hope this helps,

Rebecca

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(8,614 Views)

Danny,

In addition to Rebecca's suggestion, there is another way that leverages the older uninstaller system, though it has a limitation. Here are the steps:

1. Get to a Windows command-prompt.
  2. Run the old uninstaller with the "/NoNIPM" flag, which would typically be located here:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\NIUninstaller\uninst.exe" /NoNIPM
  3. Select the product you want to repair (or ctrl-click to select multiple products), then click Repair.
  4. Follow the multiple prompts for media if you get them.
  5. However, once you get to a prompt that is titled "Windows Installer" and points to a path in \Temp (example below), click "Cancel" as you don't have the files necessary to proceed past this point. Reboot afterwards if prompted.
    2017-06-14_140638.png

This will not repair everything, but should repair LabVIEW 2014 itself.

Regards,

- Wes

Message 3 of 10
(8,601 Views)

Thank you both for your replies.

I must say i think that this "know issue" is rather a major one to be honest and no workaround. Is this something that is going to be fixed at some time going forward ?

I did try you solution Wes, but it did not fix the problem for me, but thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I will have to live with the problem for now

cheers

Danny

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(8,577 Views)

I've just run into this problem.   This is amateurish, NI.   Fix it.

Message 5 of 10
(8,335 Views)

Me too - I missed installing R-series card drivers and after installing, can't get the FPGA VIs to show support for the cards. Having to uninstall/reinstall a bunch of components to try and resolve because the repair option is greyed out.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,248 Views)

There is still a repair option if you just run the installer directly.

I wanted to repair MAX 17.0. So I put in the DAQmx 17.0 DVD, browsed the folders in products to MAX and ran the MSI file there. It let me choose a repair option.

TIL

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(8,062 Views)

I have just run into this problem

Following this worked
VI Package Manager Runtime Engine - Installation Media Required for Repair – VIPM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,049 Views)

@DavidJCrawford wrote:

I have just run into this problem

Following this worked
VI Package Manager Runtime Engine - Installation Media Required for Repair – VIPM

Hi, David:

NIPM and VIPM are different applications.  It took me probably a year to not get confused between the two.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,038 Views)

Before 2017, which saw the introduction of NIPM, I often had 3-5 versions of LabVIEW installed on my PC.  On multiple occasions, I would "mess up" one of the older ones, and need to do a "repair".  I quickly (well, it took me about three experiences to "learn the lesson") realized that the "Repair" option was (a) extremely slow, (b) required a lot of CD shuffling, and (c) frequently didn't work, which forced me to do a "Remove/Reinstall Everything" option.  After the third time, I realized "Remove/Reinstall" was actually much faster, and almost always worked (don't ask about LabVIEW 2011 ...).

Moving into the NIPM Era, that is still my "Best Practice" (I just did it recently with a system that had both LabVIEW 2019 and 2020, not quite working, and I wanted a pure 2019 system -- remove/reinstall, though NIPM Installation "gotchas" meant I had to try three times before I got the sequence of which packages to install in what order right ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,037 Views)