LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to distribute the serial core only with my exe and DLL application using the Labview application builder 8.21. I'm not interested having MAX and other components installed on the customer PC and in the program menu

Since Labview ver 8.0 and later, I am not very happy with the new way the project installer is managing the additional drivers such as Serial.
With LV 7.11 the serial components was included in the cab file and was installed on the target computer in a specific directory. The size of the distribution was pretty small and well suited for compact distribution.
My LV application use only the serial object and with LV 8.21, if I include the serial 3.2 component, I get an enormus file including max, visa ... and a lot of fucky component I do not need.
To distribute my application, I just need, the runtime engine and the serial driver as it was with the version 7.XX

Looking for clever advises from you gentlemen!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,419 Views)
Is there a reason you are selecting NI-Serial? That's only needed if you have one of NI's serial boards. I just upgraded to 8.2 and haven't doen much yet but if you were to select VISA run-time instead, it would probably make for a smaller installation. I can't find an option for the serial only VISA run-time either. If it's gone, you might want to make a product suggestion.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,389 Views)

Thanks Dennis for you input

My problem is in fact very simple. 3 years ago, I developped a software suite for X ray generator; My company is selling such generator all over the world and our control panel software and DLL (for OEM integrator) is based on Labview professionnal development plateform.

To drive our generator, we just need to transfer ascii data using the strandard RS232 port still present on most of equipments used in the industrial area.

Until LV version 7.11, there was no problem to include serial component in my distribution with a very reasonable size and transparency for the end user.

with LV 8.xx (preparing a new release), I'm very disapointed to see, my distribution is increased of about for 10 Mo to 180 Mo just because I increase the serial component.

May I mix a previous version of the serial component with LV 8.21?

Should I change my source to Visa instruction only and merge visa runtime only to my distribution?

is there any simple serial example based on visa and distributed with th application builder?

I will appreciate your help in order to optimize my distribution

Pascal 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,375 Views)
I'm not sure what you mean by 'change my source to Visa instruction only'. Serial communication in LabVIEW is only VISA. You mentioned version 3.2 of the serial driver. The only version 32. is for NI-Serial. That is not a option you should be selecting unless you are using an NI serial add-on board. You would have had to install that with your previous app as well and that would have made a bigger installer then. VISA run-time is a 29 MB file and that plus your app should not add up to 180.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,361 Views)