LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with way oversized front panels?

@kbbersch wrote:

I like the Ctrl-/ answer the best.  I learned a lot of Windows shortcuts I didn't know.

Except this is not a Windows shortcut, but a (even more oscure) LabVIEW shortcut. 😄

(maybe I am wrong, but it does not seem to work in other programs I tried)

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 30
(907 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@kbbersch wrote:

I like the Ctrl-/ answer the best.  I learned a lot of Windows shortcuts I didn't know.

Except this is not a Windows shortcut, but a (even more oscure) LabVIEW shortcut. 😄

(maybe I am wrong, but it does not seem to work in other programs I tried)

Just toggles the status bar in Firefox.  Must be a LabVIEW shortcut I didn't know about.  I'm sure there are lots of them.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 30
(900 Views)

Ctrl-t is not only mnemonic (tile), but afterwards you get access to the resize corner of the window.  Maximizing leaves you stuck at full-screen, and that is almost as annoying as super-sized.

And I would avoid cascading windows at all costs, an even bigger disaster than tiling, and not undoable.

Message 13 of 30
(887 Views)

I know (and hate) ctrl-t very well, because I am often faster than quickdrop.

(ctrl-space...ctrl-t does an unintentional tiling if the quickdrop window comes up too slowly... :()

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 30
(874 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I know (and hate) ctrl-t very well, because I am often faster than quickdrop.

(ctrl-space...ctrl-t does an unintentional tiling if the quickdrop window comes up too slowly... :()

This is supposed to be a non-issue... if only the Edit mode size is decoupled from the Run mode size 🙂

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 30
(860 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

Maximizing leaves you stuck at full-screen, and that is almost as annoying as super-sized.

True, but once you have it maximized you can grab and drag the title bar to allow you to resize the window.  I don't like keeping VI windows maximized, but this is a good workaround for cases where you have a VI like the one referenced in this thread.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 30
(815 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Darin.K wrote:

I feel dirty now, time to shower.

Yes, there are ways, but try to even get to a browser window to look up these shortcuts (well, alt-tab works, but again we need to remember at least one of these key combinations).

My favorite is alt-F4, of course 😄

This is like the browser exploits from the early internet era and should not happen in 2014.

Try Ctrl+H while hovering over any objectSmiley Wink  seach the keyword "Keyboard Shortcuts"  The main LabVIEW Help lists the shortcuts as a table and even links to 

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2013\manuals\ LV_Quick_Reference.pdf  which is in a rather convienient format to print and hang on your wall.  If wallspace is a premium- contact your local rep and get a mousepad.

Of course a quick post to the forums should also geterate some great answers. 

As an asside Ctrl+/ is application specific I typically re-map it to Create Snippette from selection since I do that so often and use maximized windows so seldom. It prevents accidental triggering of maximize.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 30
(788 Views)

Jeff, I actually printed that card yesterday and taped it to the wall. 😄

LabVIEW needs to do some sanity checks on the window parameters before placing a window.

Double-clicking a terminal typically flashes the control and pans the FP if needed. Here I see nothing because it flashes a control that is way outside my screen and all I can do is continue to stare at a completely blank FP.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 30
(779 Views)

Jeff, I actually printed that card yesterday and taped it to the wall. 😄

LabVIEW needs to do some sanity checks on the window parameters before placing a window.

Double-clicking a terminal typically flashes the control and pans the FP if needed. Here I see nothing because it flashes a control that is way outside my screen and all I can do is continue to stare at a completely blank FP.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 30
(779 Views)

When I saw Christian asked a question, I expected this to be a thread resurected from 10+ years ago.

Message 20 of 30
(764 Views)