LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a database in SQL Server Express 2014 to be used with LV Database Toolkit

Solved!
Go to solution

I use LV Database Toolkit, which by default uses Jet database. Now I want to use SQL database with LV Database Toolkit. I have downloaded and installed "SQL Server 2014 Express with Tools" in my Labview Laptop. Now I want to create a database in SQL Server, because I think it is a requirement for creating a "udl connection file" (*.udl file). Please help me!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(6,057 Views)
Have you tried Google - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e38h511e(v=vs.71).aspx

You don't have to create a udl file, though. You can insert the connection string into the VI.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(6,046 Views)
You can create a udl very easily, and if you want to, open it in a text editor to grab the connection syring.
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(6,026 Views)

Creating database does not require UDL. UDL is needed to connect to the SQL server with LabVIEW. UDL file created  will have server name and credentials required to connect to SQL.

You can create database using queries fired from LabVIEW or you can go to SQL management studio and create a database and tables inside the database (With few right clicks and selecting appropriate options).

once database is created, then using queries you can do what ever you want.

With Regards

Miraz
Kudos is better option to thank somebody on this forum
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 15
(6,004 Views)

Thanks to all who have devoted their Time! I have read all the sugestions and attachments, but I have still not tried anything to resolve my Issue. I have found 2 Articles on Microsoft Developer Network (which I have attached). The first one creates a database through "SQL Server Management Studio", which I will give a first try,if it is applicable to my case. The second is to run a Querry ("CREATE DATABASE TestData") from "LV Database Toolkit" That is supposed to create a database in SQL Server with the name "TestData"; I will give it a second try. Please keep on helping me further.

Thanks Again!  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(5,978 Views)

Hi!

In the last post I attached 2 Word 2013 document which can not be opened from previos versions of Word; so I am replacing with a website link of the 2 Articles.

SQL Management Studio: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186312.aspx

Create Databse through Querry: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365340.aspx

Please keep on helping me, because my issue has not made any substantial progress.

Thanks!  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(5,947 Views)
It's hard to understand what your issue is. Have you created the database in SQL Server? Have you created a UDL file? Both of these initial steps have nothing to do with LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,935 Views)

I am thankful for the feedback of all the contributors. After reading all the sugestions and attachments in this thread, it is now to me completely clear how to make the database in SQL Server and then it is also clear to me, when I have the name and Path of my database, how to make the udl connection file. When these 2 things are done, I will be able to use SQL database instead of Jet database with LV database connectivity Toolkit. As soon as I have done this, I will post it.

Thanks for all the feedback!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,920 Views)

@khurshe wrote:

I am thankful for the feedback of all the contributors. After reading all the sugestions and attachments in this thread, it is now to me completely clear how to make the database in SQL Server and then it is also clear to me, when I have the name and Path of my database, how to make the udl connection file. When these 2 things are done, I will be able to use SQL database instead of Jet database with LV database connectivity Toolkit. As soon as I have done this, I will post it.

Thanks for all the feedback!

In labview go to tools ->  create data link. ensure after cofiguring you should able to do test connection successfuly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
Message 9 of 15
(5,909 Views)

I made a database whose path is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA\depot1

I tried to make .udl connection file, but when I click on "test connection" with the provider: "OLEDB Provider for Microsoft SQL Server" I get the Error "UDL Connection File Failure" (attached below)

When I tried to make the .udl connection file with the provider "Microsoft SQL native Client 11.0" and when I click on "Test Connection" I get the Error" UDL Native Client_1"& " UDL Native Client_2".

Please help!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,863 Views)