From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert Labview 2.2.1 (Mac) vi's to labview 7.0 (PC)?

It is Labview 2.1.1. The file was too big to attach to this post. So I have posted it at my site: http://oldwivestales.org/MacFiles.zip. I have tried the CD on a few more computers, all with a Classic OS on them. And still have no luck with the CD. I think the resource forks are just broken. I have also sent a request to NI for a downloadable version.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23
(1,233 Views)
I downloaded the files, but won't have a chance to look at them until tomorrow.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23
(1,228 Views)
Jordan,

I looked at those files. All the VIs, Controls, and the LV program itself are empty files. Even though the names and directories are there, nothing is in them. I tried opening them in LV4 and it reported that they are not VIs. Next I tried opening them with a low level file tool that shows the contents of any file in text or hex format. This tool showed that the files have zero length and no contents. I also looked at one of the files from a Unix utility and found it to be of zero length. The data files appear to be intact. Some are text and others are binary.

Somehow it seems your files have been corrupted. The old Macintosh file system had two "forks" for each file, a resource fork and a data fork, (if I recall correctly). Most other computer systems did not properly handle the forks. It is possible that passing the data through an non-Macintosh system may have stripped the contents from the files.

Do you still have the originals on Macintosh floppies or on an old Mac hard drive?

Lynn
Message 13 of 23
(1,219 Views)
Thanks for looking into that. I do still have the Old Macs that these vis were run on. They are working fine and dandy. I was worried about losing the resource forks, so I had zipped them on one of the macs, rather than transferring them to my Windws machine to zip them. I will try to attach them as a .sit file later today.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(1,214 Views)
The Stuffed version of the file is at http://oldwivestales.org/LABVIEW.sit.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23
(1,197 Views)
Jordan,

The Stuffit archive is OK. The files open fine under the copy of LV2.2.1 included with the archive. My copy of LV4.1 says the version is too old to convert when I try to open the files from LV4.1. LV 5.0.1 crashes when I try to open one of the files. I'll see if I can load LV3 on this computer - a three step process: floppies on one computer, ZIP drive to a second, and USB Flash drive to this one. If all else fails I could print PDF files from the LV2 VIs, at least for the SC customized VIs and send you those. Then you could rebuild the VIs in a new version of LV.

Lynn
Message 16 of 23
(1,182 Views)
Thanks again Lynn for going through all the trouble. A PDF would not be necessary as I can currently view all of the files on my Mac. My main issue is just getting them updated to a newer version so that I can use them on newer machines.

Thanks again,

Jordan
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(1,172 Views)

@Jordanyorg wrote:
... My main issue is just getting them updated to a newer version so that I can use them on newer machines.

Jordon,

It is doable from your .sit backup with the conversion package (NI PN 5009950B-00 is what I have).   Attached zip contains 4 VIs brought up to LV6.1 (using a G4 with OS9.1 for the Mac end).   If you open with LV7 or later, I think the old serial/serpdrv subVIs will automatically be converted to the corresponding serial compatibility VIs which use VISA.   It's not entirely painless ... but doable.

Good luck.

=====================================================
Fading out. " ... J. Arthur Rank on gong."
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23
(1,158 Views)
Donald,

I cannot get my conversion kit to work on any of my Macs. It is the same part number as yours, but it just isnt working. I think the resource forks just got messed up. Could you attach the 3.1 version on your kit in a sit file?

Thanks,

Jordan
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23
(1,131 Views)

Jordan wrote:

I got the kit and tried it on some pretty old PowerPCs running OS 8, as well as a few G4s running OSX (and OS9 in the background) and it could not even recognize the files as being executable.

I have tried the CD on a few more computers, all with a Classic OS on them. And still have no luck with the CD. I think the resource forks are just broken.

I cannot get my conversion kit to work on any of my Macs. It is the same part number as yours, but it just isnt working. I think the resource forks just got messed up. Could you attach the 3.1 version on your kit in a sit file?

Jordan,

Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to the G4 with OS9.1.

I also have nagging doubts that getting something from my CD to you would be the panacea/cure-all for your problems because:

- I don't think resource forks on a CD can just "break" or "get messed up". Someone wiser can correct me if needed.
- Lynn was pursuing your problem on InfoLabVIEW earlier this week (thread here). He had problems running his full version of LV3.1 "under Classic on a Dual G5 Mac" … maybe your problems have a similar cause (and hence getting a copy from me will not fix anything).

I'm assuming that you are putting the actual CD in the Macs and trying to run from the CD.
Do you get any sort of error message when you try to run LV 2-3 Upgrade: PowerMac: 3.1.1: LabVIEW ?
What models were those "pretty old PowerPCs" running OS 8 that you tried running the CD on?
=====================================================
Fading out. " ... J. Arthur Rank on gong."
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23
(1,103 Views)