LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert LV3 vi to LV 6 without having intermediate versions?

Hello there!

How to convert LV3.0 vi to LV6.1 without having intermediate versions?

Thanks
Olivier
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,274 Views)
In general, you should be able to open your 3.0 VIs in LabVIEW 6.1 just fine. This will convert them automatically and you just have to re-save them in 6.1.

You don't need intermediate versions. (I recently opened LabVIEW 4.0 VIs in 7.0).
Message 2 of 6
(3,272 Views)
Actually, anything before version 4, you need a conversion kit that you can get for free from NI.

The part number of this kit for Windows and Macintosh is 776874-03. VIs from UNIX must be transferred to a Mac or PC where the VI can be converted to LabVIEW 4.0 and then transferred back to UNIX. The LabVIEW VI Conversion Kit is not available in the online catalog. So you must call the National Instruments Sales Department directly to request this free conversion kit.

Converting VIs is a multistep process where VIs are mass compiled in one version of LabVIEW after another. For instance, to open VIs saved in LabVIEW 2.x, you must first mass compile them in LabVIEW 3.1.1 and then mass compile them in LabVIEW 4.0.1. After saving VIs in LabVIEW 4.0.1, you
can open them in later versions of LabVIEW.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 3 of 6
(3,272 Views)
Ed is exactly right in his previous posting. Prior to LabVIEW 4.x, the format for saving VIs changed with every release of LabVIEW. This meant that when a new release of LabVIEW was developed, it needed to have a routine specifically for converting VIs from the previous version of LabVIEW. There was no provision for skipping a version of LabVIEW.

With LabVIEW 4.0, the format for VIs was standardized to allow VIs saved in 4 to be opened in future versions of LabVIEW. Now users can upgrade to the newest release of LabVIEW by reducing the number of obstacles.

You will need to contact NI in order to order the Conversion Kit. Use the Part Number Ed provided: 776874-03.

Thanks!

Kileen
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,241 Views)
Hello there,

I am having a similar problem as well. I need to convert some old VIs from LV 3.1 to LV 7.1.
When mass compiling the files using the conversion kit, do I need LV 4.1 installed on my PC?
Since I only got LV 7.1 installed on my PC now.

Also what is the phone number for NI sales Department in UK? Because I would like to get that conversion kit.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,178 Views)
"I need to convert some old VIs from LV 3.1 to LV 7.1.
When mass compiling the files using the conversion kit, do I need LV 4.1 installed on my PC?"

The conversion kit includes LV4 along with LV3 for Mac and Windows on 1CD. You'll just run v4 off the CD, open your v3.1 VIs and save as v4 (which LV7 can open).
=====================================================
Fading out. " ... J. Arthur Rank on gong."
Message 6 of 6
(3,169 Views)