cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect THORLABS spectrometer with labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I would like to be able to make a program that shows the signal measured by a spectrometer. But I don't know which are the blocks I need to be able to use the connection via USB. I´ve already downloaded the drivers for Thorlabs on Labview.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(2,823 Views)

1. read THORLABS spectrometer user manual (to see how packets are formed and what data you can expect)

2. if you've already downloaded THORLABS support for Labview, then check some of their examples on how it's done

3. you can also use Labview VISA (plenty of examples how that works) with settings you got from user manual

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(2,793 Views)

Hi,

Why ThorLabs spectrometers ?! What spectrum do you need to see ? There are many other spectrometers that already have a software, included free software and DIY spectrometers (that are cheapest possibility) with free software in visible spectrum (you can take a look at "Theremino spectrometer" on a google search).

Best regards, Marcelo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(2,790 Views)

I am guessing that is what they have in their lab and what has been used, possibly manually, before. If the later case, then substituting another instrument may mean doing correlation studies to prove that when you measure X on one it is within a reasonable error band of an X measurement on the other instrument.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(2,769 Views)

Hi,

Well... I guess that it want to use it in visible spectrum and for this exist infinite possibilities less complicated, for UV, NIR, MWIR, LWIR... well... here yes inclusive I need one :)) . And when I will manufacture it, of course that I will use LabView to display / control / analyze etc. the data. That mean that I will pay attention on this... subject 😉

Best regards, Marcelo

P.S. Almost sure the ThorLab use a camera to "see" the spectrum and the camera are connected to computer on USB port. If it this approach... you can threat this problem like any ordinary camera ! What model of ThorLab spectrometer do you have ?!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(2,762 Views)

I need to use a spectrometer Thorlabs model ccs200. Spectrum of the sun

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(2,755 Views)

Hi,

First of all you need to know about you are speaking! CCS200 - Compact Spectrometer, Extended Range: 200 - 1000 nm !!! https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=CCS200#ad-image-0

200 to 1000 nm are NOT the spectrum of the sun !!! "The spectrum of nearly all solar electromagnetic radiation striking the Earth's atmosphere spans a range of 100 nm to about 1 mm" source ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunlight.

After that you are clear with that... we can speak about... CCS200 spectrometer.

Best regards, Marcelo

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,743 Views)

@RMMG22 wrote:

Hi,

I would like to be able to make a program that shows the signal measured by a spectrometer. But I don't know which are the blocks I need to be able to use the connection via USB. I´ve already downloaded the drivers for Thorlabs on Labview.

Thanks

So it sounds like you have successfully:

• Installed the vendor software
  • Installed the LabVIEW drivers
  • Found the LabVIEW drivers

Correct?

But now you're just having problems choosing which of the VIs inside the drivers to use?

There should be an example VI in there according to the Thorlabs manual.  How about you open that, see what it does, see if it works with your hardware, and then post a more specific problem after that.  Either asking for help making it work if it just plain doesn't work at all, or asking for help modifying it if it does work but doesn't do what you want.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,734 Views)

"For ease and stability of mounting, our compact CCD spectrometers are each equipped with two bottom-located taps separated by 1" (25.4 mm). The imperial versions feature 1/4"-20 taps, while the metric versions are equipped with M6 taps."

"The spectrometer comes with a software package that has a graphical user interface (GUI) and an extensive set of drivers (C/C++, LabWindows/CVI, Dot NET, NI LabVIEWa, and Visual Basic). The GUI can display the spectra, background, and peaks in a single window if desired."

If truly is a CCD spectrometer, if it have windows drivers, if it have installed LabView drivers... he can treat this spectrometer like an ordinary CCD camera ! It can make what he want with this spectrometer in LabView !

Best regards, Marcelo.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,730 Views)

xipxid_0-1619645286991.png

@ altenbach - do you see it ?! start / stop buttons ?! yeeeees... This site is for idiots... like me !!! Not for emancipated persons... like you !!! :)) and the price... well... the price is... priceless... for an visible spectrum spectrograph... Im ask to me if is better than... this ?! 

https://www.theremino.com/en/downloads/automation#spectrometer

The price... are significantly... different !!!

Best regards, Marcelo

P.S. You can install Theremino software from link, if you can use Theremino software with  this spectrometer mean that your spectrometer have an USB CCD camera output. If you can use it with Teremino software... than you can threat him in LabView like any ordinary USB camera and make what you want with them.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,724 Views)