LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to compare DMA, IRQ, and Programmed IO data transfer with Labview 2010

Hi

I have to compare DMA, IRQ and Programmed IO data transfer with a LabView (2010) program. The goal of the project is to find the differences between the three mechanism, and show that whit a program. (or with two, or three program, that's not important, even I have 3 PC for the project, but not necessary to use them all)  For example: monitoring CPU usage, measure the execution time of the code ( I can do this two thing), examining the buffer (contains data or not)(I can't do this).

I have two boards, (maybe NI PXI 6251, but I am not sure and now the boards aren't here), and one function generator.  Now I can measure the CPU usage (but the result is the same with irq and with dma too) and I can measure the execution time of the code (with tick count). I can change the data transfer mechanisms with channel node. I think the buffer will be the key of the problem, because if I use DMA, it will be empty, but when  I use IRQ it will contain some data.

I found this .vi: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/912

But this is for LabView 6.1, I tried to convert this for LabView 2010, its running, but the scan log show the same when  I use DMA transfer and when I use IRQ. So this is what I got now, I only supplemented this with time counter, CPU usage monitoring, and PIO data transfer mechanism.

Thanks for your help.

Gelidus

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(2,194 Views)