LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to choose industrial PC.

Hello to all.

I have developed an application and it runs fine in my laptop (intel i5)

Now I would like to deploy an executable in a industrial PC.

How can I choose the specifications? I have tried with atom dual core and it works bad and slow.

One more thing, what windows is it better to run labview applications? Windows 7 professional or Windows 10?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,998 Views)

Hi A.,

How can I choose the specifications?

You choose the PC according to the requirements set by your application!

The same applies to the OS used in the PC: are all needed drivers available? Are all drivers validated/tested for Win10? (Are drivers tested with your application in real life use case?)

When you are unsure you need to build up some test PCs. Otherwise stick with specifications similar to your laptop (OS, RAM, CPU, HDD/SSD)…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,990 Views)

Thanks for replying.

The application has been developed in windows 10 and tested. As well in windows 7. So I think both of them are good. But I don't know if onw is better than the other one.

So the only way to know the specification requires is to build up some test PCs?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,982 Views)

@A.Salcedo wrote:

Thanks for replying.

The application has been developed in windows 10 and tested. As well in windows 7. So I think both of them are good. But I don't know if onw is better than the other one.

So the only way to know the specification requires is to build up some test PCs?

Thanks!

If both are good, they're both sufficient. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,977 Views)

Hi A.,

The best way would be to test/benchmark your application:

- when it runs with 60% CPU usage on your quad-core i5, then a single-core Atom which is (maybe) 5times slower will be on overload…

- when it uses 3GB RAM continuously you will not use a PC with just 2GB RAM installed…

- when it streams to disc with 100MB/s continuously you will not stream to a 100MBit LAN connection or cheap USB memory stick…

So again: you need to know the requirements of your application!

With those requirements you can define the hardware platform to run the app…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 5 of 7
(3,970 Views)

Well you would start here System Requirements for LabVIEW Development Systems and Modules and work your way up.

I don't know what your application is but I regularly run compiled LabVIEW programs (LabVIEW Runtime Engine) on an 1Ghz P3, 256MB RAM, Windows XP computer and they run just fine.

Oh I have to add, unless you truly need a ruggedized PC why not stick with "off the shelf" PC's?

I use the same Dell computers in our ATE systems anyone outside Engineering would have on their desk. For less than the price of a low end "Industrial PC" I get a mid level desktop that can be replaced almost instantly with another "off the shelf" PC. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 7 of 7
(3,909 Views)