LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cenceive bundling labview data to CANape

I have a LV framework that controls a variety of devices like climate chambers, environment sensors, and logs its parameters to TDMS file. There's a new requirement to make this data available in CANape. I have no experience with CANape. How should go about doing this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,797 Views)

I also have no experience with this, but I'd suggest looking at the following:

MDF DataPlugin (NI addon)

Vector's description of MDF4-lib 

It seems like CANape wants to read MDF4 files ideally, so to accomplish your goal you probably want to find a way to have your LabVIEW code output MDF4(.1) files.

The data plugin above might help you do that - additionally it appears to include at least basic examples.

There are also a sizeable number of "related links" at the bottom of the first link.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,745 Views)

Thanks for the input. I'm sorry I did not make myself clear the first time around. The file conversion is not needed

Previously, the data was logged at 2 places

1. CANape

2. LV via TDMS

Now it has been decided to log everything from one place via CANape. So, data from LV must be streamed to CANape. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,733 Views)

Streamed to CANape?  I don't think Vector allows for that kind of real-time data viewing of external data.  If you want playback functionality logging to something like MDF, or BLF is likely an option.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,698 Views)

I came across this Vector XL driver that allows sending data from an application to CANape via a vector hardware physical channel. 

The situation is such that the conversion of TDMS to MDF and analysis in CANape should be avoided. Rather, the data should be available in CANape for logging it along with UUT parameters

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,686 Views)

I didn't mean for you to convert TDMS to MDF, but rather just use LabVIEW to log directly to MDF files.

Would that not be suitable for your application? It wasn't exactly clear to me from your replies.

@GoKu25 wrote:

I came across this Vector XL driver that allows sending data from an application to CANape via a vector hardware physical channel.

Do you have a link describing this in more detail?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,679 Views)

They are likely referring to this, which lets you use read and write data to Vector hardware.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Vector-XL-Driver-LabVIEW-wrappers/ta-p/3524976?profile.languag...

With that you could write LabVIEW code that puts data on the CAN bus, that another piece of Vector hardware reads.  But that that point I'd just use any CAN hardware that you have drivers for like KVaser, Intrepid, NI-CAN, or NI-XNet depending on cost and availability.  You could then make your own database (XNet Database editor works fine) and load that DBC into CANape reading the data you are writing.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,673 Views)

Data streaming.jpg

The schematic above illustrates the setup I have. I would like to know if there is some sort of way to broadcast the signals from LV side and receive it from the CANape side so that UUT & LV data are logged concurrently

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,663 Views)

Do you know if there is a way to transmit data from LV to CANape via ethernet?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,658 Views)