From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to catch an event when USB device is plug-ed / unplug-ed?

I want to register for an event that is generated when user unplugs / plugs USB device into PC. I saw solutions in other languages like Delphi and C++ but cannot find a way in Labview...

I don't want to check for devices in a loop, I want to have event generated automatically when this happens.

AndrazS_0-1675191515756.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,683 Views)

I suspect you will need to use a .NET event that calls a callback VI and have that VI send a user event to your events case.

I would start with this Stackoverflow thread:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26975946/detecting-usb-device-insertion-and-removal-in-c-sharp

And try to implement roughly what that person did in, but in LabVIEW using .NET nodes.  

This is likely the .NET class to use:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.management.managementeventwatcher?view=netframew...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,670 Views)

Any other hint or maybe even VI that does this?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,663 Views)

USB Event Wql Event.png

You'd have to fiddle a bit with the 'e' object to get useful info, but it's a start...

Download All
Message 4 of 7
(1,604 Views)

What about continuously checking visa find resource results for changes?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,595 Views)

Thank you, but could you please save this two VIs in 2019 version? Thanks very much

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,537 Views)

Thanks  wiebe@CARYA for the soultion, i was trying something similar but your solution works fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,486 Views)