From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to capture image from USB camera in Labview 2010

Hey all,

I am very new to Labview but am working on a project that requires me to use a sensor to send a signal to Labview to capture an image from a USB camera and save.  Then apply some image processing to do some geometric calculations.  The calculation will be based on pixels so I guess the image needs to be in bitmap form.  Right now I am just trying to start with the image acquisition part and was wondering if this can be done in Labview 2010.  I have the vision toolbox and NXT Robotics.  Are there any examples on this website that will help and do I have te proper tools to do this?  Once I get the image capture/grab to work using labview, then I could work getting a sensor signal to trigger that capture and finally the processing side. 

Like I said, I am very new to this so I am not sure if I need to download any particular drivers or vi's that I am missing or what those might be.  Can someone provide some insight, links, or any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,115 Views)

Hi wklove,

In order to do vision with LabVIEW you need to to have the Vision development module and have NI Vision Acquisition Software (VAS) installed. It sounds like you are missing VAS you can download it here. Once you have this installed you should be able to see your camera in Measurement and Automation (MAX). After you are able to see the camera, take a look at the NI Example Finder by going to Help » Find Examples

Joe Daily
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

may the G be with you ....
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,087 Views)

Hi Joe. I am using avicap32 and clipboard to do the image capture. The clipboard seems to have a bad reliablity(sometimes I just got empty image array). Could youplease give me some suggestions about that? Another question, is VAS free?

Thank you and have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,861 Views)

VAS is free if you're using the IMAQ drivers. The IMAQdx drivers (which interface with third party USB cameras) cost money. The clipboard IS notoriously unreliable in these cases. If you're fixed on not using our vision stuff you should use actual files as intermediaries (not the clipboard) if possible. Otherwise all you can do is put appropriate delays in (meaning long delays) and good error checking.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,843 Views)