From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to assign file extension and custom icon to executable?

Alright Rolf.  I think I can get started now.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 39
(1,552 Views)

Good morning,

Excuse me for my bed english,

I 've create a custom driver for my usb hid device an i want to tell windows to use this driver in place of the standard one. I want tn know how to tell the installer to do this using key register like assigning extension and custom icon to executable.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 39
(1,457 Views)

This is not the right forum for this I think. This is specifically about LabVIEW software, but what you are asking is about Windows driver development and you would be better served by asking these questions on a Microsoft Windows driver development board, maybe with MSDN.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 39
(1,439 Views)

Tanks for your answer,

but I want to do that under labview installer, and i haven't understand teh explanation and exemples of MSDN (by microsoft)

I found that exemples of NI labview are very clear an i want an exemple like this How Do I Associate Custom File Extensions with an Application Built in LabVIEW

In this link (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/9538A36E218F10A4862571A8005EF6C0)

Thank for your help

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 39
(1,425 Views)

Hi bslimanea,

Take a look at this Knowledge Base article: Change Default Instrument Driver Download Directory

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,

Ricky

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 39
(1,382 Views)

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for your replay.

I think that i have'nt explain my problem clearly. I have a card based on microcontroller that communicates with the PC via USB HID mode. As soon as I connectthis card to my PC,Windows assigns a default drivers and my card is not visible from labview.but if I install this driver manually by the device manager labview recognizes my card.
what I want to do, is how to automate the installation of the driver that I do manually.

excuse me for my bad english.

thaks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 39
(1,377 Views)

Hi bslimanea,

It seems we can try a couple things. I will still be checking to see of an automated program to do this for you, but from what I am seeing right now we do not have an example of that.

1) If you do not want this default driver assigned, try removing this driver from your computer. If your card works fine without this driver, and you can manually choose another one, un-install the default driver. Once you do this, you should be able to make the driver you desire your cards default driver, because it will be the only one the computer recognizes as compatible with your card.

2) Try moving the default driver into the "instr.lib" found through the path: Program Files\National Instruments\Labview\instr.lib

If the driver is in this folder, it should be able to communicate with labVIEW.

Give these a try. I will continue to search for an automated way.

Ricky

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 39
(1,359 Views)

Thanks Ricky,

The first solutionis not possible because the driver is used by HID devices like mouse and keybord

The second solution is not clear. how can i copy the driver in the instr.lib (may driver is an .inf file generated by driver wizard.

Is it possible to have the syntaxe of DriverWizardInstallInf64.exe located in C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinN (par of NI VISA wizard) it seems to be able te sove the problem.

The NI driver wizard call this executable to install the driver generated by the wizard (but i dont know how the wizard transfers the arguments (driver name) to this program

Thanks for your precious help

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 39
(1,350 Views)

Good Morning bslimanea,

Try using this Knowledge Based Article and its associated Developer Zone Tutorial.

I believe these should be of assistance in this.

Ricky

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 39
(1,323 Views)

Hello, Please help.

In fact usually I install the drivers generated by the driver wizard of labview, but following the installation steps I found this wizard calls a file called DriverWizardInstallInf64.
The wizard transfers the data necessary to install the driver and change the registry so that Windows loads the driver installed instead of the driver standad (USB HID).
Since I like to make the driver installation process and modifying the registry programmatically (automatically), I want to know how the data (the path of inf file, the VID and PID of the material) are transferred to DriverWizardInstallInf64 argument.
Ie what is the syntax of this file? so I can call it from the Windows command window.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 39
(1,258 Views)