LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add devices to RT PXI Target in labVIEW Project

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's possible to add the chassis/modules to the RT PXI target the way I can with a compactRIO device? I want to be able to use the IO variables of the PXI slots the same way I would with RIO slot IO variables, but I don't know how. If you look at the picture attached, I basically want to access the IO variables of the PXI modules the same way I have with the compactRIO IO variables in Mod1. If that's not possible, is there any other way I can access the PXI variables to add to my VIs?

I forgot to mention but when I right click on the RT PXI Target and go to New>>Targets and Devices, there's no option under new or existing devices for the PXI modules I have installed.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,770 Views)

You are not going to get the same scan engine behavior on your PXI platform as you do on the cRIO. On PXI you are going to use the driver API corresponding to the hardware you are using, so DAQmx, NI-DMM, NI-FGEN, etc.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,738 Views)

Hey Matt, would you mind elaborating on that, or better yet providing a link to some resources?

It's surprisingly difficult to find any useful information from NI. Searching "PXIe Labview"  on Google or NI's site yields nothing useful, and it'd be great to have a step by step showing how to use a PXI controller with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,708 Views)

Hello, astamand!

I think it will be easier to answer that question if we could exemplify the explanation Matt gave with some of your hardware. 

Once you install the specific drivers for whatever modules you have installed in your PXI, you will be able to see its examples in LabVIEW and some may have the project version so you can see how it is supposed to look like. 

Since there are different drivers (APIs) for different Modules, the answer depends on what you are going to use on your PXI. 

I suggest:

1. search your PXI modules manual so figure out what drivers will you need. Then install all the drivers and search their examples for RT versions.
  2. Then search for documents online on the specific things you would like to do with your modules. 
  3. Create a Forum post with the specific modules you have any other hardware and a brief explanation on what you want to do. The more specific, the biggest chance you get the answers you need. Make sure to properly tag the post so maximize the exposure to the community and your chances of getting the right answers.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,678 Views)