LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add a missing character value

I am reading from text files and have blank cells in data sets which I would like to keep blank rather then labview intuitively reading them as zeros. Is there a way to add a character for labview to read over that particular cell?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,411 Views)
You need to provide some more info on exactly how you are reading the text file. Are you converting the text to a number? What's the final destination of the text file data - array of numerics? Post an example of what you're doing if you can.

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,411 Views)
i have the same problem with missing values known as zeros. my txt file is read by sub-vi "read characters from file" then with "spreadsheet string to array" i convert it in numerical array. then missing values are coded like zeros.
How doing ?
Thanx
Matt
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,411 Views)
There's a couple things you might try. Before you do the Spreadsheet String to Array, if your spreadsheet string is something like 1.1,,2.3, then you could do a search and replace of ,, and stick in some number you wouldn't normally see or NaN (Not a Number). You could also first create a string array with Spreadsheet String to Array and search the array for an empty string and replace those values before doing the conversion to a numeric array.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,411 Views)