LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access raw data from Emotiv epoc+ by Labview2011

Hi everyone,

I have just got an Emotiv Epoc+ research edition but now having some problem about how to get the raw data from each channel. I used Labview2011. Can anyone suggest me how to read it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,401 Views)

They seem to have a community SDK project. From a quick look at it it seems to be using a DLL/shared library. That would mean you have to use the Call Library Node to access this SDK. After a quick glance at the header file it seems doable to access most of these DLL functions with the Call Library node without necessarily having to go through the hassle of creating an extra wrapper DLL.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,376 Views)

I have the same problem 

I am not sure even when we get RAW data how can we use it

because I don't think there is way to read and then make it like epoc+ app that can understand the thinking meaning 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,721 Views)

Well, the first step would be to get the data into LabVIEW at all. Emotiv supply an SDK but it seems password protected, so not sure what the whole story about that. The earlier mentioned Community SDK link seems dead, but it seems to still be available on github repositories.

The issue of doing something useful with the retrieved data is of course another story. The principle seems to be that the Emotive functions return a bandpower spectrum of a number of frequency bands and then to match the characteristics of these spectra with certain "thoughts". The difficulty is likely that a characteristic spectrum is not just static with certain absolute values for each frequency band, but instead rather a time variant spectrum, where the band powers will vary in a certain pattern or something. While this isn't exactly super secret rocket science, it requires some solid time domain numric analysis knowledge and that might likely be the "secret" in the ready made software provided by Emotiv. Considering that there is a community provided SDK however I would guess that there must be some public knowledge of how to do such type of analysis, otherwise such an SDK would be pretty useless.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,697 Views)