LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access Combo box from main VI in sub VI?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Trying to set up a test in a main VI. In this main VI I have a combo box to choose the type of test to run. I want the user to be able to select from the combo box and use that selection in a sub vi to tell the sub vi which specific test is going to be run. How to I access that combo box selection within a sub vi? I was looking at something with control refnum, but I am not sure if that is the best approach and/or how to do it within the sub vi. Any help or guidance would be awesome. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(757 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LearningLabVIEW

Why not pass the combo box value as an input to the subVI (as one on the connector pane)?

Do you have any requirements for event detection within the SubVI?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(756 Views)

Is the subVI interactive, running in parallel to the caller and the selection can change wile it is executing, or is it sufficient to set the state when the subVI is called?

(This is a very generic problem, not specific to combo boxes. We typically can give significantly more detailed answers if you could attach a simplified version of your caller and subVI)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(732 Views)

This was the exact solution I needed. Very simple and does the trick. I was trying to think at a deeper level than what I needed.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(723 Views)