LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to accees the LabVIEW Web Server using Chrome?

According to this page, chrome is now the dominant browser (more than IE and FF combined!) and I think it should be officially supported by NI. Currently, it is not even mentioned (e.g. here)

There are some older posts that claim that the Chrome browser is not officially supported but should work.

Unfortunately I did not have any success so far. What is the secret to get this working?

Once we can view it in the chrome browser, we could hopefully also display it on a TV using google cast (See this idea for details).

Message 1 of 46
(8,835 Views)

I have also just written this idea.

... but please leave technical discussion here in this thread.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 46
(8,811 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

According to this page, chrome is now the dominant browser (more than IE and FF combined!) and I think it should be officially supported by NI. Currently, it is not even mentioned (e.g. here)

There are some older posts that claim that the Chrome browser is not officially supported but should work.

Unfortunately I did not have any success so far. What is the secret to get this working?

Once we can view it in the chrome browser, we could hopefully also display it on a TV using google cast (See this idea for details).

The man thing that causes issues for me within chrome are snippets. I hate switching to IE for them. I haven't had problems with other features.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 46
(8,781 Views)

Officially supported or not, I have been using Chrome exclusively for a couple years with no major issues. If you run into a situation where you absolutely have to use IE, there is an addin for Chrome that will automatically use the IE rendering engine when you access websites you specify.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 4 of 46
(8,775 Views)

I have a window 8 (64bit) machine here with both Chrome and IE installed way be before I installed LabVIEW (2012 and 2013).

If I use the web publishing tool and open the link in chrome and IE (both basically in their default configuration), only IE succeeds (see images). What else do I need to do to see the panel in Chrome? Is this a security setting problem?

(Running my Roman Numeral Converter posted here)

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 46
(8,672 Views)

Alright here goes!

Taking the easy one first - snippets and chrome - 

In LabVIEW 2013, VI snippets were fixed to work so that you can drag them directly from Firefox/Chrome into LabVIEW. However, for this to work, the image must have a URL that ends in .png. Unfortunately, it was found that the forums and community edit the URL of snippets that are posted, and they no longer end in .png. We are investigating possible ways to handle this, but for the time being, if you add ?.png to the end of a URL of a snippet in Chrome/Firefox, you can pull it straight into LabVIEW (example). Part of the challenge of this is that IE actually carries the image itself when you drag the snippet into LabVIEW, but the other browsers just have the URL of the image.

Remote front panels

We test remote front panels to support IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari, and I am going to update the document you linked to reflect this. You can consider remote front panels NI supported on those browsers. 

Regarding why it is not working for your system, I am not sure, I am going to test on a windows 8 system and see if I can reproduce your issue. Are you using it on the desktop or in metro?

Regards,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

Message 6 of 46
(8,639 Views)

According to this page, the plugin is supposed to be installed into "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins". This folder does NOT exist on any of my machines. Maybe there is a different location for chrome extensions if I have never installed firefox and only have IE and Chrome? If there is, the quoted page needs to be updated with that information.

Also, the LabVIEW installer needs to be aware of the secondary location, wherever that might be. (A web search indicates %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\Plugins, which also does not exist here).

The web document also needs to distiguish between 32 and 64bit windows machine, because the root folder might be "Program Files (X86)".

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 46
(8,622 Views)

The Chrome addin IE Tab will render specific URLs in IE. Does that work for your example?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 46
(8,608 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

The Chrome addin IE Tab will render specific URLs in IE. Does that work for your example?

I looked at that chrome store entry briefly after your last message, but have not tried it yet.

I don't really use remote panels much at the moment, but just want to make sure it actually works. Keeping the system clean for now for further testing. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 46
(8,605 Views)

Hi,

Turns out that our installer only looks for firefox or IE when installing the plugins (CAR 425753 has been filed). If you install firefox and then reinstall the LabVIEW RTE, you should get remote front panels working in chrome - unintuitive I knowSmiley Very Happy

Thanks,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

Edit - You can also follow the steps for that KB to manually move the plugin to the Mozilla folder and that should make it work in chrome as well (since chrome looks at firefox plugins)

Message 10 of 46
(8,543 Views)