LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to accees the LabVIEW Web Server using Chrome?

@TimBotsM wrote:

To add even more reasons to kill silverlight.

Firefox will be dropping support for all NPAPI plugings (except flash) at the end of 2016

This went into effect last week with the release of Firefox 52, which has all NPAPI plugins other than Flash disabled by default, though they can be re-enabled through about:config. Apparently Firefox 52 is an "Extended Support Release" and will receive security updates for a year. However, Firefox 53 is scheduled to be released next month, and will drop NPAPI support completely.

Does that just leave us with Internet Explorer as the only major browser continuing to support Silverlight? How's work on the HTML5 alternative coming?

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 46
(1,757 Views)

Hey, 

This does mean that Internet Explorer is the only web browser you can use. As for the HTML 5 alternative, I cannot speak on what may or may not be included in future versions of LabVIEW. I can say that HTML 5 has been chosen by NI as the replacement for Silverlight as stated in a previous post.  

Regards,

Shezaan Noorani

Applications Engineering 

National Instruments

Message 42 of 46
(1,732 Views)

Hello,

any update on this?

I have been reading about it but I can't find anything new on how to access a LV Webserver from a Linux. The only way seems to be installing IE on linux or Pipelight in Firefox (also not supported).

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 46
(1,404 Views)

A few things have changed in the last couple years, but there is still no easy solution like there was.  NXG is out, and now has a web module which means VIs can run in your browser through a "porting of the runtime engine" to JAVA script.  This means you can get the same effect by writing two programs.  One that runs in the browser that is just a front end, and another program that actually does the work.  You'll need some mechanism to communicate between the two programs but once it is working it would be cross platform and run in any modern browser on mobile or desktop.  The amount of work involved in this is non-trivial when previously it was just a couple click to generate an HTML, and the web module is an add-on toolkit costing extra money to develop for.

There are several 3rd party tools that also can turn a VI into a webpage, usually using websockets to send data back and forth from a VI running some where, and a browser.  All of these (mine included) lack the full feature set, and come with several trade offs, along with limited or no support from the developers.

It is also possible to leverage LabVIEW's web services, to send and receive data to a web page.  But in this case you'd need to have experience in web design or tools to get and set data.  Now we are basically writing two programs like with the NXG example.

At the moment there is no option for something as simple as Tools >> Generate HTML, from either NXG or classic LabVIEW.  There should be, and I've told NI several times that user expect a simple way to just view and control a VI from a web page, and having to write multiple programs, or learn a new language to accomplish it isn't acceptable.  Especially when it was so simple in the past.  Personally I've been using a mix of stuff.  I still use the silverlight solution on test machines for manual panels, or debug information.  This are on testers that I have full control of, and so having IE and silverlight installed isn't that big of a deal.  For outside stuff I've been using the Front Panel Publisher, which works well enough as long as your UI doesn't contain tabs, subpanels, or arrays.  Looking to add support for tabs and arrays eventually.

EDIT: Oh and as for Linux have you tried Palemoon?  I haven't but saw it is should work.

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 46
(1,388 Views)

I abandoned LabVIEW for my web projects years ago, precisely because the server-side security issues are too clunky. As best I can tell, I can't easily integrate LV with Letsencrypt to generate my server certificates, I can't pass the headers I need to my Gluu OpenID server, or use any 2FA methods to control access. I do all of that with Linux and Tomcat calling a Java servlet. It does mean I have to lay out the HTML myself, but that's not that hard. The advantage of LV web server is to be able to take a functioning desktop application and turn it into a web app quickly, but if it means that you can't have modern security features, this is not a good idea in our current environment.

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 46
(1,379 Views)

Four years later and there seem to be same issue when trying to sort out certificates

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 46
(704 Views)