From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Open an Object with USB CAN 8473s hardware?

Hello,

I recently aqcuired the USB CAN 8473s hardware and now I'm programming simple software to read 1 specific CAN id and its DATA,

to use this data for a simple calculation.

I'm having problems with thje ncOpen.vi which tells me it is not compatible with the current Hardware.

I'm programming in Labview 2013 and the hardware does work when I open the Bus monitor?

Anyone who can tell me where my fault is or that I need a different version for this hardware?

Any help much appreciated

Thomas

Errorcode.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,761 Views)

For the 8473 and the s verison you can't have CAN Channel API, only Frame API. 

Have you triede the simple CAN Receive.vi CAN examples?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,741 Views)

Hi

I know the CAN channel API doesn't work, no problem because I don't need it, but ncOpen.vi should be a Frame API so should work...

I've been searching for some more examples and have just found the CAN Receive.vi example you mentioned.

The ncOpen.vi used in this application doesn't seem to give any problems at all so I've allready rewritten this file to be used for my purpose.

I will try the programm on the CAN system tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,740 Views)

I think what you are looking for is the hardware filtering CAN id for you, I don't think these simple hardware can do that for you.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,735 Views)

Open the shipped example for writing and reading frames.  Assuming it works (it should) then you can copy parts of that code into your larger project.  The example can be found by going to Help >> Find Examples, and search for Transmit Receive Same Port.vi

I don't think this hardware has hardware ID filtering, but you can just read every frame, and throw it away unless it is the ID you are interested in.  A For Loop and a conditional indexing terminal can help with this.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,727 Views)