LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Join Keithley 7001 and 2182

I am currently working on a program to measure various properties of different materials. In order to do this, I have three different measurement locations. I am using the Keithley 7001 scanner to select which source to measure and a Keithley 2182 to do the measuring. Unfortunately, I am having issues having the two work together. I have tried using a sequence structure and also simply having the two run at the same time; with the sequence structure, the Scanner selects which channel to run and then closes it before the next sequence (2182) begins, which makes sense, but when both run at the same time the scanner selects a channel and then deselects at nearly the same time as the 2182 takes the measurement. I tried using a time delay to delay the 2182 measurement while the 7001 has not chosen a channel, but this also didn't work. I have been using LabView for four weeks, so I was wondering if anyone with more experience has any suggestions as to having the two work together.

I have attached the VI. To save space I compiled the various initialization drivers for the 7001 into a subVI, inside of which are some items that may help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,596 Views)

Have you downloaded the driver for Keithley 7001 and 2182 from our website ni.com/idnet?

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/354

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,552 Views)

I couldn't open your vi (i use 2009) but I have experience with the 7001.  The device keeps a switch closed until YOU open it.  So there is definately an issue with your vi not waiting for the measurement routine to finish.  Since you are running a state machine, adding wait timers should be unnecessary.  How are you communicating with the devices? GPIB?

Post a 2009 version and I'll try to take a look.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,549 Views)
I was actually able to figure out how to get the two to work together. Previously, I had been trying to use the Scan VI from the 7001's driver series. However, once I switched to simply using the Open/Close Channel VI, I was able to close the channel, have the 2182 measure the voltage, and then open the channel and move on to the next one. (Note: Closing a channel actually means having it selected as the channel to be measured. Counterintuitive in my opinion, but I didn't make the VI.) Anyway, I did this by using a flat sequence, which I know is looked down upon around here, but I feel it's the easiest way to so what I needed.

Thank you for replying though!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,543 Views)