LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to FTP MKDIR (make directory)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I have a working VI for uploading multiple files to my FTP server.

It took me a long time to find out that I could not upload to a folder which does not exist. I assumed it would be automatically created. But FTP doesn't work that way, the folder must already exist, and I cannot find a way to run such commands in LabVIEW.

What I'm looking for is something like a VI which allows me to send any command to the FTP server.

My research:

I found a thread: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Create-a-folder-on-FTP-Server/td-p/1424906

One post there says there is a VI, which does not show up in the search (quick drop)

It should be in: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6\vi.lib\addons\internet\ftp\ftp1.llb\FTP [MKD].vi

But that addon (internet) has apparently been baked into all recent versions of LabView, and I cannot find that VI anywhere now. Maybe it has been removed?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,091 Views)

Hi folks,

I'm also interested in how to upload a whole directory from the cRIO to an FTP server.

I also searched and did not find the \FTP [MKD].vi
I found this, but maybe there is something better out there. (at least I hope)
https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/FTP-copy-directory-and-indicate-progress/td-p/1605144

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,064 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DrOnline

Which LV version do you use? In LV 2015 you can find it here: C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2015\vi.lib\FTP\ftp1.llb\FTP [MKD].vi

Message 3 of 6
(5,056 Views)

Thank you, good sir! I am using LabVIEW 2017. It's in the same location as you said, under the 2017 folder. That's going to be very helpful indeed. Wow, they're all there. I've never seen a library like that before. This is new 😄

As a side question, for future reference, how could I have figured out that for myself, when the vi doesn't show up in the ctrl+space menu? Is there a lot of useful stuff kinda hidden away like that?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,051 Views)

@DrOnline
As a side question, for future reference, how could I have figured out that for myself, when the vi doesn't show up in the ctrl+space menu? Is there a lot of useful stuff kinda hidden away like that?

Yes, there are many useful VIs in vi.lib which are not exposed on the palettes. You can find more information in the Hidden Gems in vi.lib group.

Message 5 of 6
(5,035 Views)

Oh, excellent. I joined the group. Thanks a lot, Dan.

I also go the mkdir vi to work now, using the library you linked to.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,023 Views)