LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Correlate Device name.Device number and Slot Number of a PXI card .

Presently from VISA i get the Device name info and Slot info.

And using Get DAQ information vi I get the Device Name and Device Number.

I want to correlate and as get what device is assigned what device number
in
Which slot

I am using LAb veiw 7.0 and RT , for this reason i cannot use NIDAQ
Qmax.
Suresh Thangappan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,141 Views)
You can retrieve the base address of a board from both APIs (VISA and DAQ) and correlate the boards using that information.
authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,127 Views)
Are u meaning to say that the windows base address ( visa)and the base address provided in NI daq GEt inforamtion.vi same
Suresh Thangappan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,121 Views)
The base address provided by VISA and by DAQ should both be the same. Also, you could get all the information you need by using multiple instances of the Get DAQ Device Information.vi. The help file for that VI will give you all the information you can get from that VI.

TylerS
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,102 Views)
The DAQ Base Address (Get DAQ Device Info) is the same as the BAR1 base address in VISA (see the attached VI).
authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,097 Views)
Hai,

Thanks for the Help

It solved my Problem.

With regards,
Suresh
Suresh Thangappan
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,089 Views)

Hello everybody

1. How can I do the same under PCI bus, using traditional NI-DAQ?

2. Is it possible to change device number programatically from within LabView?

Thanks.
Joao
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,890 Views)
Hello Joao,

Unfortunately, there is no way to programmatically change the device number or system addresses programmatically in LabVIEW.  You can change the device number of a Traditional NI-DAQ device through Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) by right-clicking on the device under Devices & Interfaces and selecting Properties.  The system resources are usually automatically assigned by your operating system when the device is first detected in the Windows 'New Hardware Installation Wizard'. 

Regards,
Travis Gorkin
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,876 Views)

Thank you Travis

What about the first question, is it possible to find out what is the PCI slot number a device is occupying?

Thanks again for your time.

Joao

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,859 Views)
Hello Joao,

The NI-DAQ driver does not have the functionality to programmatically determine the PCI slot number a device is occupying.  The only device  information you can programmatically extract is the device number and serial number, using the Get DAQ Device Information VI (in Traditional NI-DAQ) and the DAQmx Device Property Node (in NI-DAQmx).

One suggested workaround for this is to manually change the device number of your card in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) to correspond to the PCI slot location of the device.  You can find the PCI slot location of the device in Windows Device Manager, by going to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware.  Find the board in the list of devices and select Properties to display the location of the board. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Travis Gorkin

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,842 Views)