From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much of Samples can a Vi generates

Hello Everyone,

Im Generating the white Guassain Noise with Standard Deviation of 3.2 and after that I'm applying a 1st Order Filter for which it should decay 6dB per Octave after 5KHz,and plotting the PSD waveform,with the Sampling Frequency=100KHz and Number of Samples=100KHz(which provides me for 1sec) when I Run vi it works properly. I want to Generate it for a minimum of 1min so I have Changed the Number of Samples=6000KHz but when I run vi for this values the vi hangs for a 2 to 3 sec and PSD will plot but the vi still hangs(stuck) and unable to execute again and I have to close the whole vi to bring to its normal position, so what is the problem..??

Thanks In Advance

I have attached my vi below

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(2,595 Views)

"Things are not very clear, for example a unit of kHz for the "number of samples" seems wrong.

Generating 1 minute worth of data at 6Mhz (=6000kHz) requires massive amounts of memory (~3GB for one copy, 6MB x 60seconds x 8bytes per DBL) and your VI requires multiple copies.

Seems unreasonable. Check your math. (Are you running LabVIEW 64bit?)

Message 2 of 15
(2,584 Views)

Hello Sir,

I'm using LabVIEW 2018 evaluation Mode. my system is Windows 10 pro 64bit.

So You mean to say that we cannot generate that amount of Samples..??

And Number of Samples is used determine the Time Duration for the Noise Signal

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(2,561 Views)

Hello Sir,

The thing is Sampling Frequency(Fs) = 100KHz, so I want to generate a Noise for 1 minute

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(2,559 Views)

100,000 samples/second * 60 seconds * 8 bytes/sample = 48,000,000 samples. a large (but tractable) number.  By generating the samples using 100,000 samples/generation, you will get 60 waveforms, which you can either combine into a monster Waveform of 6M entries or run your filter in "sequential mode" (where you provide "chunks" of data and take advantage of most Filter VIs having "Initial/Continued" settings).

Note that you could also generate the Waveform "all at once" either by specifying a sampling rate of 100kHz and a sampling time of 60 seconds = 48M samples, or specifying a rate of 60*100kHz = 6MHz and a sampling time of 1 second = 48M samples.  You don't want to do both ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(2,548 Views)

Hello Sir,

Even I tried by giving True to the Init/Continue Terminal of Filter block but it still Hang

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(2,523 Views)

How much RAM your computer have?

Benoit

Message 7 of 15
(2,519 Views)

Hello Sir,

8GB RAM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,516 Views)

I am able to run your VI with a sampling frequency of 100'000 and with 6M samples and amplitude of 1.

It hang for a while, but for the rest everything is fine.

You should revise your architecture so only the interesting part of the graph is displayed or only 10% of the point is shown and then you zoom in and display more point in the region you want to see.

Benoit

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,515 Views)

Hello Sir,

But when I run vi it hang for a while and display occurs but after that when I tries to use that vi again it still hang and I need to close the vi and open again but why is like that...??

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,511 Views)