From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many times a word appears in a text?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I have googled and searched the forum, but I can't find anything to get my code right. I want to search a .txt file and see how many times a keyword appears on demand. I've tried using a loop with the match pattern function, but I'm not getting the correct results. I appreciate any help given.search vi.png

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(1,734 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Net2022

You need to wire up the shift register to the "start index" input on the Match Pattern.

Personally, I would just use the Search And Replace String, setting the "replace all" to TRUE and then just use the "Number Of Replacements" output.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 13
(1,725 Views)

Try this: 

searchtext.png

Honestly, crossrulz solution above is much better.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(1,721 Views)

One unpleasant complication is figuring out what delimits a word.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(1,703 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Irrelevant, the program searches for an exact match and returns how many time that exact match was found.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(1,699 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

I agree that the problem is much more complicated, because there are plenty of delimiters (space, tab, period, linefeed, double-quote, numbers, etc.) so it is important to only use consecutive strings from the correct lexical class. Just searching for a substring will give you plenty of false positives (e.g. searching for "trust" would also count the substring in "trustworthy" as a "word", etc.). You also need to ignore upper/lowercase.

Still, this is a simple homework problem to solve. Try it!

Some comments to the original code:

• No, it is not OK to spin the outer loop millions of times per second, redlining one CPU core and heating your computer.
  • NO, it is not OK to place a wait inside the inner loop. Searching should progress as fast as possible (seconds, not hours for long files!)
  • Please don't maximize the front panel and diagram to the screen! (during debugging you need to see both, as well as the help windows!)
  • The indicator you call "frequency" has the wrong representation and does not display a frequency at all.
  • Your inner loop always finds the same word forever and will never stop unless the word exists zero times.
  • Since the keyword control should be constant during the inner loop, it belongs outside it.
  • Why do you have a shift register is you don't even look at its output?
  • etc.
Message 6 of 13
(1,695 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Irrelevant, the program searches for an exact match and returns how many time that exact match was found.

Certainly not irrelevant.  Suppose the text contains " forum ", and you search for the word "rum" without regard for delimiters; you would get a match there in "forum".  But that is not the word "rum" and shouldn't be counted as such.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(1,694 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

I agree that the problem is much more complicated, because there are plenty of delimiters (space, tab, period, linefeed, double-quote, numbers, etc.) so it is important to only use consecutive strings from the correct lexical class. Just searching for a substring will give you plenty of false positives (e.g. searching for "trust" would also count the substring in "trustworthy" as a "word", etc.).

Still, this is a simple homework problem to solve. Try it!

And you have to make sure that words at the beginning and end don't get missed for lack of a delimiter on one side.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(1,688 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Certainly not irrelevant.  Suppose the text contains " forum ", and you search for the word "rum" without regard for delimiters; you would get a match there in "forum".  But that is not the word "rum" and shouldn't be counted as such.

Oh, good point... I hadn't thought about it that much.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(1,686 Views)

See if this can give you some ideas.

It would be even easier to place all words and their count into a map (try it!).

altenbach_0-1647274005306.png

NOTE that you should set the keyword control to "limit to single line", else a linefeed might sneak in. You might actually want to verify that only a single word is entered (not shown)!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(1,657 Views)