LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use your sound card and sound VI to get sound levels off a microphone.

We are using LabVIEW 5.0 and we want to capture sound from a microphone. Is the sound VI and a sound card enough to do it, or do you have to get more materials.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,782 Views)
If you are in Microsoft Windows platform, you can just record the sound with the sound recording feature of windows.

You can do the same with LabVIEW, but it actually a little more difficult, though you do have more flexibility.

Try looking at your sound examples included with LabVIEW. There should be a few examples on how to acquire audio that may be exactly what you are looking for (always look at the examples, they cover the gammit of LabVIEW capabilities and are a great way to solve something to which the answer is not immediately availabe. I don't know of any other software package out there that provides this kind of sample program database.)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,782 Views)
If you are just trying to measure relative sound levels or record sound for playback, the standard PC sound card is adequate. If you want to calibrate your measurements against a known standard and have accurate measurements over a wide range of frequencies, then you need something better. In that case, I would go with an NI DSA board and a high quality ICP microphone from The Modal Shop.

Bruce
Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,782 Views)
Some years ago my company designed, build and sold an 8x2 analog audio line mixer that could be controlled via the RS-232 serial port by software.
The software was developed in LabVIEW and we called it the Mix It MXC.
This should explain to you that when you say/think sound, you do not immidiately have to think of a PC-based sound-card solution. Even though it comes free with every computer-hardware you buy.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,782 Views)