LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you find rpm using hall sensors?

Hi,

I am an intern at a local engineering company.

I was asked to use hall sensors in a motor to find the rpm. So far, I have hooked up the hall sensors to the interior of the motor. I have also found the theoretical rpm using a formula based on the voltage put into the motor. On labview, I have a dial to control the speed of the motor using a DAQ. Also, a wavegraph is used to sense the peaks of voltage from the hall sensors. How do I used the frequency of the peaks in the graph to find the instantaneous rpm. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,941 Views)

Well if you can pickup some magnetic field from the rotor  (and not the stator!!) you can use the extract single tone vi or

make a FFT.  You will see spikes at frequencies n times the rotation speed (in 1/s not RPM)

If you can post a vi with save data (make current values default) and a coarse guess of the correct RPM value, it will help us to help you 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,933 Views)

Well, I am not very experienced with LABVIEW, I don't really understand your response. I will post a picture of the block diagram, it may help.

THANKS!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,907 Views)

Good Morning,

You could just perform an FFT of your periodic signal coming in from the motor.  Go to the document at this link and it has some example code that explains how to implement an FFT in LabVIEW.  I hope this helps!

-Cody C

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,899 Views)