LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you create a gauge with a non-linear non-log scale

Hello -

I'd like to create a gauge that has a scale that isn't linear or log... See that attachment for an example of such a gauge;  note that spacing between markers varies. Can this be done?  If so, how?   (My gauge in LabVIEW can have an circular shape, and need not be oriented like in the image...)

Thanks,

Alan

Message 1 of 9
(4,175 Views)

Maybe some ideas at this link where they wanted to remove the first and last label.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=308670&query.id=1023986#M308670

Message 2 of 9
(4,168 Views)
I would probably use an image as background, then do some nonlinear mapping of the value before displaying.
Message 3 of 9
(4,150 Views)

Thanks for the information and suggestions! There is a dynamic component to the project requiring multiple changing gauges, so an image isn't feasible, but would definitely be the obvious choice otherwise.  The text label approach looks good, but it's frustrating that you can put the markers in arbitrary positions in this mode.

Cheers,

Alan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,141 Views)
What do you mean by "multiple changing gauges"?  How would an image for each gauge not satisfy this?
Alex Person
NI-RIO Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,107 Views)

The nonlinear (nonlog) relation is between x and xStar, you choosed a log-scale grid, so I assume the 'linear' scale should be adjusted. 

Since the relatiion x -> xStar is given and fixed for a scale, you can create a picture on top of the graph with the picture tools.

read the log scale min and max, read the x pixel length of the plot area  and whenever the scale is changed (event) recalculate and draw the 'lin' scale.

-draw the minor ticks  , draw the major ticks and numbers.

I would simply use one scale, add a cursor, lock it to the plot and use the cusor change even (read pointindex, get x,y from data) to display x,xStar and y

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,602 Views)

here is a cursor example

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,595 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

here is a cursor example

We are missing some subVIs.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,580 Views)

Sorry, post belongs to this thread

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/XY-Graph-overlaying-linear-log-scale-data

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,540 Views)