From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you calculate the instantaneous frequency of a signal in LabView?

I'm working with neural signals that can be described as a nonlinear series of action potentials.  I've already calculated the spike density function (spikes per second against time) and was wondering if this is the instantaneous frequency?  If not, could someone please describe how to calculate instantaneous frequency in LabView without the advanced signal processing toolkit.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,134 Views)

Instantaneous frequency is a term which seems to be context-sensitive.  In other words the definition can vary depending upon the application.

Spikes per second would be more of an average frequency (averaged over one second).

For your neural signals I would think that an instantaneous frequency would be defined as the reciprocal of the time between successive spikes.  Since you can count spikes, you should be able to determine the time of each spike.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,123 Views)

I would just like to elaborate on Lynn's correct idea.

You can use a function such as the Peak Detector.vi

This will output an array of each peaks (x,y) coordinates.

You can then calculate a 1/(delta-x) for each peak, which should serve as a freqency, as Lynn said.

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,114 Views)