LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use Perforce Source Control on a substituted drive

Hello all,

I am wrestling my way through using perforce as an integrated source control package in Labview.

The path has many potholes but seems possible.

My latest challenge:

Substituted Paths.

---------------- ---------

In a professional source control environment there are many users with many views/workspaces and it is good proactice for each one to have a unique name [user][machine][branchname][myprojectstructure]

Labview is notorious for requiring fixed, absolute paths due to the way .vi's remember their callers, my previous practice using IBM/Rational clearcase was to substitue ("subst B: ." ) the project root [myprojectstructure] to another drive, say B: for example.  This makes Labview is happy as the paths are now fixed, the developer is happy as they don't have to check out a miriad of files.

This practice is widespread in the embedded software development world and isn't exactly innovative.

Perforce

------------

Clearcase integrated into Labview works seamlessly, you just point the path to the substituted drive and all is well.

Perforce, not so much.

The setup options within labview whilst being intuitive and easy to use, don't appear allow this method.

Does anyone know how to do the equivalent in Perforce?

Thanks in advance,

Tim L.

iTm - Senior Systems Engineer
uses: LABVIEW 2012 SP1 x86 on Windows 7 x64. cFP, cRIO, PXI-RT
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,113 Views)

Here is an article on how to implement substitute paths on Perforce. Hope that helps!

John B.
Embedded Networks R&D
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,099 Views)

Thanks John,

I will see if this works

I hadn't thought about substituting the drive first and then populating the workspace.

I can see that this implimentation requires discipline,

There is a significant danger of refreshing the wrong workspace and trashing modified files.

Tim L.

iTm - Senior Systems Engineer
uses: LABVIEW 2012 SP1 x86 on Windows 7 x64. cFP, cRIO, PXI-RT
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,090 Views)