From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I tie an Code Interface Node to the dos command prompt or Windows FTP stuff

I have tried to use the System Exec.vi to do some ftp-ing with a box that If developing an automated ATP for. The sys exe vi dose most of what I need but not all. I can not modify the sys exe vi, nor can I copy the code interface node to another vi,I think that is because it has been compiled. So I need to generate my own vi that call the Windows ftp stuff or command prompt. I have spent several hours searching the NI site and the web in general and have not been able to find what to link the CIN to.

Can somebody please explain this to me?

I'm using:

LabVIEW 8.6.0

Windows XP Professional with service pack 3

Thanks

TeBlues

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,626 Views)

This is the original post.

Did you try the suggestions I posted in that thread? You seemed to have created a new thread without following up on the last suggestions provided there. I think the path you are trying to take right now is not worth it. CINs are a very old technology. If you're really going to go down this path then you should write a DLL. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,622 Views)

Yes this is related to the post of yesterday. I tried your suggestions yesterday and was unable to get any of them to work.

I down loaded the ftp library form OPENG and was unable to get it to connect to my box under test, and was unable to find any helping documentation on the OPENG site.

I down loaded the vi from the earlier post you referred to and do to my lack of knowledge of windows was unable to figure out how the incorporate it in to my vi. For example what is the "lpsz Window?

To complete this project I'm having to go deeper in to the stuff that goes on behind the seen than I have ever need before. So to me it looked like the next steep is to create a vi that used an CIN similar the the sys exe vi but add a few things around it..

If this is wrong, What do you suggest? Keeping in mind I do not have the internet tool kit and the project dose not want to purchase it if we can avoided it.

Thanks for your interest and time

TeBlues

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,609 Views)

You have not explained what it is about the system exec that you would like to modify. If it's sending data to the ftp window, then you would need to do a lot of modifications and you would not create a CIN, you would want to create a dll.

Frankly, cost of the Internet toolkit is probably pretty small compared to the amount of time it would probably take to write your own dos application.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,600 Views)

The most likely reason why the OpenG code didn't work for you is that your ftp server is probably running a Unix variant. Taking a quick look at the code I can see why there would be a problem there.

As far as the VI that I had written in that post, the "lpsz Window" control is simply the name of the window for the command window that appears when you run System Exec. The one that's in the window's title bar.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,590 Views)