LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I setup a once pass upgrade using application builder and Labview 7.0?

Hello,

How do I configure application builder so that the installation routine will both uninstall the old version of my software and install the new version in one pass. Currently, I double click on my setup.exe and run through the prompts and it uninstalls the previous version and then quits. I then have to run the setup.exe again to install the application. How do I avoid having to run setup.exe a second time when perforing an upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,513 Views)
Right now it is not possible through app builder.

This requires some MSI knowledge though. Read the ProductCode of your previous installer from "installer properties" dialog of app builder. Create a batch file and copy it next to the new MSI that app builder created.

Contents of the batch file will be something like

msiexec /qb /x "{GUID-OF-OLD-MSI-HERE}"
msiexec /i ".\NewInstaller.msi"

First line should uninstall the previous MSI silently with minimum UI and second one installs the new one.

A Rafiq
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,513 Views)
Are you talking about regular windows batch file, something like install.bat with those two lines in it? Then the user would run "install.bat" instead of "setup.exe"?

Jamie
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,513 Views)
Essentially yes or little more sophisticated would be to have a custom setup.exe that does equivalent or launches the batch file.

A Rafiq
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,513 Views)
MSI installer should be smart enough to handle it in one pass without resorting to using a batch file. I've installed a bunch of msi's where it's done in one pass without a ".bat". If I can't specify the settings in Application Builder, maybe there is a way to edit the msi directly using Orca to set this up. Has anyone tried that approach?

Thanks for your help!

Jamie
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,513 Views)
Thats why i mentioned it requires more knowledge of MSI. You can read major upgrade information under MSI documentation.

A Rafiq
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,513 Views)
Great, thanks!

ps. If anyone has already figured how to do this, I would greatly appreciate that information. In the mean time, I guess I'll start reading about MSI.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,513 Views)