From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I run a reentrant VI.

I have a VI that I am running to test firmware in a satellite modem. The next task is to develop a top level VI that will run this VI in three different instances. I am trying to come up with a way to do it and it is not trivial which is why I am on here looking for some advice. I have been messing around with queues to queue up the tests based on what buttons are pushed on the front panel. Basically for this discussion I want to be able to run the test at max three times simultaneously. I know the best way is probably to use the VI in Test Stand but I am trying to see if it is worth while basically making a test executive in Labview first. Any advice would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,277 Views)

Here is one for you.  Have you consider GOOP?  That is Graphical Object Oriented Programming.  This is one of the core strengths of GOOP called scalability and you can launch multiple instances of the same program. Since all of the data is private and is part of the class you don't need to create additional data to launch more instances.  Let me know you wish to consider this option.

Matt

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,268 Views)

Hi trosier,

If you go down the do-it-yourself reentrancy road, here's a utility for you.  During debug it's tempting to turn reentrancy OFF, but possibly catastrophic to leave it that way.  In a system with many reentrant VIs, it's too easy (for me) to loose track.  After my first (and only) reentrancy nightmare, I made this VI to check/set the reentrancy of an array of VIs.  I think it was helpful, but a bit of a pain to keep the list up-to-date during rapid-prototyping.  It's not especially complicated, but may save you some time.  NOTE: This VI had one error-message-related sub-vi which I've [just] stripped-out for simplicity... Smiley Wink

Cheers.

Message Edited by Dynamik on 06-01-2006 02:12 AM

When they give imbeciles handicap-parking, I won't have so far to walk!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,244 Views)