From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I read data from memory on the host PC that is being written by another program

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone, 

This is my first post. 

I am very new to LabView and I have only just completed Core 1 and Core 2 with no prior LabView experience. 

I have a SilconSoftware frame grabber with an FPGA board on it to capture and pre-process images from a CamerLink sensor. The FPGA has been programmed to output a 64 bit image using DMA to the host PC, and I know the address of the Image. The image consists of two pixels, I would like to read the pixels in LabView so I can decode the information. 

How can I do this? 

Thank you _KAL

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,664 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author _KAL
I am not familiar with this particular hardware, but the easiest way is if the camera is compatible with IMAQ. Alternatively, does the vendor provide a DLL for accessing images?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,655 Views)

Okay, so I wasnt very clear. 

The 64bit image out (1 pixel by 2 pixels) has data encoded into the pixel value, it is not an image I want to view. 

Eg

The first pixel of the (1 pixel by 2 pixels) image contains a 64 bit number: 3411507556003349746.

If you convert the number on the 0 - 15 bit of this number to binary and then to decimal it will output a number that is a coordinate in x on the image captured by the Camer Link camera. 

If you convert the number on the 15 - 31 bit of this number to binary and then to decimal it will output another number that is a coordinate in x on the image captured by the Camer Link camera. 

If you convert the number on the 31 - 47 bit of this number to binary and then to decimal it will output a number that is a coordinate in y on the image captured by the Camer Link camera. 

If you convert the number on the 47 - 63 bit of this number to binary and then to decimal it will output a number that is another coordinate in y on the image captured by the Camer Link camera. 

Appologies if this isnt very clear? So I can get access to the memory loaction of this 1 pixel by 2 pixel data, can I access it in LabView knowing the memory address? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,645 Views)