From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I program a NI 6602 card to send trigger pulses triggered by an input digital trigger pulse?

Hello,

I want to program a NI 6602 card to send digital output pulses, triggered by one digital input pulse. The first output pulse should be sent 15 microseconds after the input trigger pulse is received, and then up to 6 further digital pulses should be sent on different channels, up to 40 microseconds or more after the trigger input pulse. The accuracy of the time the pulses are sent should be less than 1 microsecond.

Can I use any of the example-VIs which come with the NI-DAQmx 9.7 download? Which one(s)?

Best regards

Claes

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,287 Views)

Hi Claes,

the specs for your NI6602 clearly say: "Timing: software" for those digital IO pins.

So it will be hard to automate them to play some pulse patterns using hardware timing...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,269 Views)

Is that correct that it is not possible to program the hardware of the card for my needs? Under Counter/Timers it at least says "Pulse Generation Yes",  and in the data sheet it is written on page 388 under "Features": ...Each counter has one output that can be routed externally...".

The card only needs to ouput one single pulse on each channel/output after each input trigger pulse. There will be 2-5 milliseconds between each input trigger pulse.

Best regards,

Claes

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,255 Views)

There is a "Counter - Single Pulse Output"-VI that should be able to generate a pulse triggered by an external source. But can I program it to add a 15 (or 20 or 30) microsecond delay?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,253 Views)

Actually, the "DAQmx Create Virtual Channel"-VI, that is a sub-VI of the "Counter - Single Pulse Output"-VI, has a "initial delay"-input. I will try to use that...

Claes

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,252 Views)

So, I tried the "Counter - Single Pulse Output"-VI, but unfortunately the delay of the ouput pulse does not change, when changing the "initial delay" input variable. Maybe it only affects the first generated pulse...

Claes

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,220 Views)

I eventually managed to generate the pulses by setting the "low time"-input on the "Counter - Single Pulse Output"-VI, to the desired delay. However, it seems to use two counters per output pulse, but I only want one counter to generate each pulse. That should be possible somehow, since the pulse width can be arbitrary short in my case. See my other post: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-do-I-program-a-NI-6602-card-to-send-trigger-pulses-one-at/td-p/2...

Claes

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,182 Views)