From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make a new-project's folders, which are created from a custom project template, point to the newly created directories?

I'm using LabVIEW 2013 and developing a custom template witch will create a new project that contains auto-populating folders.  When the new project is created the directories are replicated to the new location as desired, however the links in the lvproj tree still point back to the location of the source of the template.  I want these to be a relative path to the project and not an absolute path.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,229 Views)

This document should help to sort out this issue for you. 

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14045/en/

Rob S
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,186 Views)

Thanks Rob, but I have read that page and it does not get into the level of detail that I am debugging. 

I have a workaround, but it is not very elegant.  I am modifying the text of the .lvproj xml file to correct the paths.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,161 Views)

Jeff,

Don't use Auto-populating folders!  at the very least you will need to modify the template script to "Stop Auto-populating "and "Make Auto-populating" as the first and last steps.  I DO NOT SUGGEST that you should do this.  

For several reasons:

• No shipping template projects use auto-pop
  • no LabVIEW components use Auto-pop
  • No LabVIEW examples use auto-pop
  • The Created from Template project will mimic the disk structure of the project template without auto-pop

Auto-pop buys you nothing!

Auto-pop is basicly there as an aid to developers just learning how to use projects.  By the time you finish a project or two virtual folders are sufficient to organize the project.  If you DO have a self imposed style requirement to mimic disk structure and folder structure the files view and show paths option are there to help you move vi's on disk without confounding the project itself

{Edit:} I just re-read "I am modifying the text of the .lvproj xml file to correct the paths."   

Go to files view and "move on disk!!!!"  Much safer to use the project to move project members (Or you are going to have lots of conflicts when dependancies change..... BE WARNED!  and don't ever try to do that to a library ~~~~~~)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,154 Views)

Unfortunately, auto-populating folders in project templates are not currently supported. I will file a CAR to our documentation team to update the afore-mentioned webpage to mention this.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,144 Views)