From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I keep a vi from running until I've completed entering a string?

Here is a small example of using the event structure and a loop.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(981 Views)
thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(974 Views)
thanks
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(976 Views)
Hi. Me again. After reviewing the help I received yesterday. I take it the answer to my question is that I can't keep the vi from running until I've completed entering a string unless I use a button. Maybe my mistake is, I am thinking like a C program. But if I am typing in a string, why should I have to stop; move my hand to the mouse; move the mouse to the button and click. I want a vi that recognizes that I have hit the return key. Can I do that?

Doug
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(962 Views)

Did you read the instructions on the VI that tbob gave you? Did you run it? It seems to do what you want. The string indicator is updated as soon as you press the enter key. The only button you have click on is the stop button. You can have the VI automatically stop when you press the enter key as well. Here's an even simpler example.

Message 15 of 21
(957 Views)
Yes you can do that with an event structure. Set up your options >> tools\options and select the option to end string entry with enter key. Then set up your event structure to catch the vaue change event for the string. here is an example.

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(954 Views)
Guys, I really do appreciate your help. Joe, couldn't open your code but I took all of my code sans the input string and attached it to Dennis' code and for the most part it runs. There is a glitch in that another string in the code is being sent out prematurely. I think I can fix it.

I am writing code at the American Museum of Natural History, Department of Astrophysics for an instrument that is scheduled to be mounted on the Mt. Palomar telescope sometime next year. I hope I can ask for more help in the future. Is there a way I can get to either of you directly? And please let me know if you get to New York.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(945 Views)
We are all here as volunteers.  At times some of us are too busy to participate on this forum.  It is best if you just ask your questions on this forum rather than direct it to one particular person.  Whoever helps you, you can rest assured that the advice will be good advice.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(939 Views)

Well we do not like to single ourselves out so the best way to reach us is through the forum. But if you want a consultant I will be glad to help and give you my personal E-mail.

Whoever helps you, you can rest assured that the advice will be good advice. Unless your an LSU fan

Message Edited by Jhoskins on 03-13-2007 03:07 PM

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(940 Views)
Joe, I don't know one end of a football from another.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(932 Views)