LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I increase the update rate of the PDA indicators?

I currently have two applications which display data on a Dell X30 PDA(not sure if 312 or 624 MHz).

The first application uses WIFI to transfer 4 data values to the PDA and display the values in 4 separate indicators. The data is being sampled at 1KHz on the laptop and displayed. The laptop display updates quickly. However, the PDA display is a bit slow and jerky as viewed on a horizontal slide indicator. What measures must be taken to have the display update faster and appear real-time?

The second application uses RS232 to transfer 8 data values to the PDA and display the values in 8 separate indicators. The data is being sampled on a logger at 1Hz. The data on the PDA only updates about .5Hz. What measures must be taken to have the PDA display update every second?

Thank You!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,197 Views)
You have two issues here, communication speed and processing speed.
First, if your app is displaying data at a high rate, but sending data on a lower rate, the PDA won't receive ALL of the data and therefore can't display all of it. This is probably your problem in both cases.
Second, the processing is slow. Place a chart updated with random data and you'll see that under a certain number (I think 100 or 200 ms) it won't get any faster.
While it is a powerful tool, which really does allow you to program in LV on a PDA and do some cool stuff, there are a lot of compromises you have to make with the PDA module. You don't have all the functionality of the PC, getting the display right can be a bit tricky and there are still quite a few bugs. Let's hope that in version 8 NI will get it just right.

(2,191 Views)