From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the "VISA Interactive Control" installed

I've looked at my installed files and what's on the install disks.  I cannot find  the "VISA Interactive Control" utility.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,229 Views)
It's part of the VISA installation. That should be on your device drivers CDs. Once VISA is installed, you can also right click on an instrument listed in MAX (Measurement & Automation Explorer) and select Open VISA Session.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,227 Views)
I thought I did a 'full' installation but I don't have MAX installed.  I've downloaded the visa350full.exe installation.  I'll try that.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,216 Views)

VISA was not installed so I downloaded and installed version 3.5.

There was an error at the end of the installation during the last of 24 installation steps.  The error was that it could not write to the folder "C:\Config.msi" so I created the folder and pressed the 'Retry' button and it seemed to work ok.  There was nothing in the folder when the installation was done.

The Measurement and Automation Explorer is now on my machine but it will not run because it cannot open "C:\windowd\system32\cvirte\bin\cvirte.rsc".  That file does not exist and creating an empty file with that name does not help either.

Howerver........   this all started because my ICS USB to GPIB controller was not recognized in LabView while it worked fine with the ICS utility software.  Installing VISA has fixed that problem so I don't need to use the "VISA Interactive Control" anymore to figure out why I can't communicate with the USB to GPIB controller.

Any thoughts on the cvirte.rsc error?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,211 Views)
Hello Lorne,

The file cvirte.rsc is installed with the CVI runtime engine.  MAX does not usually have a dependence on CVI or the runtime engine.  When does this error occur?  Is it when MAX starts or when you try to access one of the folders?  Installing the CVI runtime engine may fix this issue.  It can be downloaded from here.

Steven T 

Message Edited by Steven T on 04-18-2006 10:55 AM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,203 Views)

@steven T wrote:
Hello Lorne,

The file cvirte.rsc is installed with the CVI runtime engine.  MAX does not usually have a dependence on CVI or the runtime engine.  When does this error occur?  Is it when MAX starts or when you try to access one of the folders?  Installing the CVI runtime engine may fix this issue.  It can be downloaded from here.

Steven T 

Message Edited by Steven T on 04-18-2006 10:55 AM

MAX itself may not have a direct dependency on the CVI RT engine but I think the VISA Interactive Control as well as the DAQ test panels might actually be CVI utilities. They at least used to be that.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,193 Views)