From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a log file to view loaded subvis as the main vi is opened?

Hello,

I would like to see from what location the subVIs are being loaded as the main VI is opened.
Can you please tell me how I can create a log file to view loaded subvis as the main vi is opened?

Thanks,
             MoWW
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,748 Views)
If you want to do this at run time, then you have to open an application reference and get "VIs in memory" ; but I assume you are having trouble because you duplicated the folder with your VIs and you want to make sure that the VIs called are those you think (fronm the correct folder).
If so, then from your main VI go to "Browse" >> "Show VI hierarchy", then in "View" you have an option called "full VI path in Label", just enable it and you'll se the full path of a VI by pointing at it with the mouse 😉

Hope this helps

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,744 Views)
Thanks for the hint but the VI hierarchy is not what I was looking for, I am aware of this.
I really would like to create a text file that list all VIs and the location from which they were loaded.
The text file will give me flexability.

Can you elaborate on the application reference idea?  I am not sure what the idea.

Thanks,
            MoWW
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,722 Views)
Ok,

Have a look at this VI, I made it a couple of years ago, basically what it does is :
- get the list of VIs in memory (except itself)
- allows to select one and to modify the FrontPanel size and position.

Of course this is not exactly what you need, but I think you copy the first part then with the references of the VIs, get there path and then log them to a text file.

Hope this helps more 😉

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,718 Views)

Hi MoWW,

I don't know how to make sub-VI paths be displayed as a top-level VI is being loaded, but the attached VI will give you a text-file of sub-VI paths for a VI already in memory...

Hope it helps!

Message Edited by tbd on 08-18-2006 03:18 AM

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,714 Views)
Thanks for the VIs.

Titou yours only listed the main.vi.
I will have to try something else.

tbd, your code does not work as you intended. 
It simply does not list any thing. 
It does something to the main.vi that makes it not readable to LV.

However, I do appreciate the efforts.
You have given me some ideas.

Thanks,
             Morris W.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,704 Views)
Well, indeed, only VIs that are running will be listed... there is certainly a way to get VIs in memory... Smiley Indifferent

Message Edité par TiTou le 08-18-2006 11:16 AM

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,699 Views)
Hi MoWW,
if you are working with LV8, then the invoke-node "Application:All VIs in Memory" doesn't list all VIs that are open because of them being in different projects. But there is a VI shipped with LV8,  it can be found in "...\vi.lib\Utility\allVIsInMemory.llb\VIMemory Get VIs in Memory.vi". This one lists all VIs with names and project-names.
perhaps this helped,
Dave
Greets, Dave
Message 8 of 10
(2,692 Views)

hi there

the vi attached lists all VIs in memory and writes the list of their paths to a file. this list is NOT the list of all subvis of a specific top level vi, but when its the only top level vi in memory the results are the same.

Best regards
chris

CL(A)Dly bending G-Force with LabVIEW

famous last words: "oh my god, it is full of stars!"
Message 9 of 10
(2,686 Views)
This worked, big thanks chrisger.

And thanks dav TW for letting me know the location of VIMemory Get VIs in Memory.vi.

Thank you all for the help.

MoWW

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,678 Views)