LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I continue to save for previous version?

Hello. I am currently using LabView 9.0 32-bit, Windows 7. Unfortunately, my university uses Labview 8.6.1 32-bit, Windows Vista Business. First, I tried to open my VI's which I started at the University and modified on my machine back on a university machine. I received an error stating that the files were saved with a newer version of LabView and could not be opened. I went home, and opened the VI's again and used File > Save for Previous Version. This is okay, except it forces me to create a new destination folder. When I close LabView and open the VI's from this destination folder, they open up automatically with an asterisk to indicate the files have changed and require saving. Obviously this is automatically converting my 8.6 files to 9.0. This is very frustrating.

How can I force LabView to stick with the version that the files were created or saved as? If I attempt to save the "asterisked" files for previous version, it refuses to let me. Thank you for your time and consideration.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(5,354 Views)

You always have to do a Save for Previous version to go back to an older version.  There is no way to do that automatically.  Why are the files "asterisked" when you open in LV2009, because LV2009 thinks in 2009.  It always internally converts the older versions when it opens them to use them.

Even with the newly opened file having an asterisk, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do a Save for Previous on that file.  Can you give more detail on what you mean by "it refuses to let me"?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(5,351 Views)

I open the previous version files, and they're immediately asterisked. If I click save, they're converted.

Instead, if I click 'File > Save for Previous Version...' it demands to specify a folder to house the new files. If I chose the folder that the files are currently in, I get the following error message:

"This operation would save 5 previous version file(s) over their original locations. Since this is not allowed, please try saving to a different directory."

My main VI contains 4 sub-VI's I created. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
(5,347 Views)
What you are seeing is perfectly normal. The "Save for Previous Version" operation will not let you overwrite files that are in the current version. You must save them into a different folder.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(5,331 Views)
While I appreciate the response, I'm well aware this is "normal." However, it is highly undesirable given my situation. Bottom line is I'm opening files from the older version, and I'd like to save these files without creating a new folder every time. It is nonsensical behavior, and even Microsoft Office understands the importance of saving files in their given version.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(5,329 Views)
You do not need to create a new folder every time. You only need to do it the first time. When you want to save it for the previous version again, go into that same folder and in the dialog box click the "Current Folder" button.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(5,326 Views)
Please read my second post (my first reply). This does not work; it gives me an error and tells me to choose another folder.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(5,324 Views)
I read it. It doesn't change what I said because it works like I said. When you open a VI that was written in 8.6 with 2009 it's automatically converted (compiled) to 2009. It doesn't get converted when you save it (File -> Save) as you said. If you open the VI in 2009 it will get recompiled and show up with an asterisk. If you don't save it nothing happens. If you make some changes, and do a "Save for Previous Version", instead of a "Save", you must save it in a different folder than the folder that contains the original 8.6 VI. The VI will be saved as the previous version into that folder, and remain open in LabVIEW, with the asterisk still showing. If you close the VI without saving your changes, and then re-open the original 8.6 VI, make some different changes, and do a "Save for Previous Version", you can save it into the same folder you created previously. This second "Save for Previous Version" does not require a new folder.
Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 11-30-2009 09:44 PM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(5,315 Views)
Well I sincerely apologize if this is true for you, but unfortunately for me it is not. I followed your procedure exactly (as I posted above) and was not permitted to save in the same folder.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29
(5,312 Views)

You must be doing something wrong, or perhaps Windows 7 is interfering. Here's the step-by-step process:

1. Launch LabVIEW 2009.
  2. Open an 8.6 VI. It should show up with an asterisk in the title bar.
  3. Make some changes.
  4. Select File -> Save for Previous Version.
  5. Verify that "8.6" is selected in the dropdown.
  6. Click "Save...".
  7. In the dialog click the "Save" button to accept the default of saving the VI into a new folder called "<VI Name> Folder".
  8. Close the VI. When asked if you want to save changes click "Don't Save".
  9. Check the timestamp on the newly created file in that folder.
  10. Open the same 8.6 VI again.
  11. Make some changes. 
  12. Select File -> Save for Previous Version.
  13. Verify that "8.6" is selected in the dropdown.
  14. Click "Save...".
  15. The "File name" textbox should have the same default name as previously. If you click "Save" Windows should move you into that folder, and the save dialog should remain open. The file listing should contain the VI.
  16. Click on the "Current Folder" button. You should get a dialog warning you that the operation will save over existing files. Click "OK" to continue. The VI will be saved as the previous version over the previous save that was done. To verify this, check the timestamp on the file.

I just did the above on LV2009 running under XP just so I could get the button names correct.

You can repeat steps 10-16 as many times as you want without needing to create a new folder.

Message 10 of 29
(5,304 Views)