LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I continue to save for previous version?

Thanks for taking the time to write that out; I really appreciate it. Unfortunately that's what I've been doing. I stepped through your list just now twice, both to no avail! This is very discouraging. To have to maintain two separate versions and worry about creating (or deleting) a new folder each time is certainly not ideal, and my version must be malfunctioning if your version acts as you say.

Anyone from NI care to shed some light on my dilemma? Is this a Windows 7 specific error?

Thanks again for your patience, time, and consideration smercurio_fc.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 29
(1,380 Views)
You could try the programmatic approach using the VI Server. The attached VI does that. Open the 8.6 VI in 2009 and then open the attached "Save for Previous" VI. Enter the name of the 8.6 VI (including the .vi extension) and the target folder. Then run the "Save for Previous" VI. It should perform the same operation as File -> Save for Previous Version.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 29
(1,376 Views)

Hello Bryan,

I would like to investigate this further. To make sure that I am clear on what is happening, when you select save for previous, what happens? Which case applies:

1) LabVIEW creates the VI in the folder you specified but it cannot be opened in 8.6 because it errors on "version is newer"

2) No VI gets created at all

Thanks,

Anna K.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 29
(1,355 Views)

Anna--

Neither. The first time I open my VI saved as a version 9, I am able to create a folder and save the VI and subVI's in this new folder. However, when I close everything, and open these recently created VI's (now saved as 8.6), it converts the files instantly (hence the asterisk). Now, when I attempt to save as Previous version, I choose the same folder as before that I had created, and the same folder the VI's I opened are housed, and it says I cannot save them here.

However! If I don't close out LabView, and attempt to Save for Previous version on the spot, it works fine. I assume this is because when I save for previous version, it doesn't open the newly created files (it remains in the newer version VI). Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 29
(1,345 Views)

Bryan52803 wrote:

Anna--

Neither. The first time I open my VI saved as a version 9, I am able to create a folder and save the VI and subVI's in this new folder. However, when I close everything, and open these recently created VI's (now saved as 8.6), it converts the files instantly (hence the asterisk). Now, when I attempt to save as Previous version, I choose the same folder as before that I had created, and the same folder the VI's I opened are housed, and it says I cannot save them here.

However! If I don't close out LabView, and attempt to Save for Previous version on the spot, it works fine. I assume this is because when I save for previous version, it doesn't open the newly created files (it remains in the newer version VI). Thanks.

There's your problem. You cannot try to resave these as 8.6 again into that same folder. That violates the rule of not allowing you to save over a converted VI. As far as LabVIEW is concerned it's as if you opened those for the first time from disk. When you do a Save for Previous Version it's thinking that you're doing this for the first time, which is why it won't let you save into that same folder. You were not following the steps I had outlined. In my steps on the second iteration I opened the original 8.6 VIs, not the VIs that had been generated through a Save for Previous Version. 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 29
(1,332 Views)
But what is the value in that? That means that the original 8.6 files remained unchanged. My dilemma is that I'm bouncing between two computers with two different versions of the software, while actively working on my project. I'd like to keep one single folder to work out of. With the way its set up, I must constantly be deleting or creating new folders as I move between the two machines. I don't understand why I can't save it for one version and continue to work between both computers.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 29
(1,329 Views)

You seem to have grasped the normal behavior of 'Save for Previous'.  I agree that LV does not deal as gracefully as it could with bouncing around multiple versions, but heck, we should all be running the latest version, right?  I never fully utilized projects and libraries until I started using multiple versions on a regular basis.  I would consider this for your application as well, you will still have to maintain separate versions, but the saving for previous can be done in one step when you are finished and ready to bounce back.

I actually keep separate versions on both machines, to keep my workflow symmetric.  I have an incoming and outgoing copy.  Only one rule to remember, do not touch the outgoing copy, it is write-only.  Let's say I am working in LV8.6, I will open the project, make some changes, then Save As.. to my outgoing location, usually a thumbdrive.  I take the thumbdrive to my LV9 machine where I move the project to my incoming location on that machine.  Make changes in LV9, and when I am done save the project for LV8.6, usually back on the thumbdrive.  I have a couple of copies, but I just consider them extra backups and potential "restore points" for my code.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 29
(1,324 Views)

Bryan,

I'm going to go a bit off track here and approach the issue from another direction.  

NI permits you to have multiple LabVIEW versions installed as long as the NEWEST is licened.  It might be easier for you to install LabVIEW 8.6.1 at home for development in conjunction with the university.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 29
(1,319 Views)

Darin.K-- That's unfortunate. Thanks for the helpful hints.

Jeff-- That would be ideal, but unfortunately I opted for LabView 2009 because 8.6.1 would not install on Windows 7. This issue was confirmed by the message boards and by a representative of NI who visited my university.

Well is it possible to transform this thread into one long, drawn out suggestion for a patch?

My situation aside, it is very common in the engineering realm (as I'm sure you all know) to have to work with files developed on older software versions. Many times it's not prudent to convert files in the middle of the project if a software upgrade is performed. Though ideally nothing should be affected, I've learned the hard way many times this is potentially not the case

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Message 19 of 29
(1,296 Views)

Did you try the VI I posted? I ran that with a 2009 VI as well as on the newly "saved for previous version" 8.6 VI that I reopened in 2009 and I was able to resave it into the same folder.

What I did:

1. Opened a 2009 VI.
  2. Opened my VI.
  3. Entered the information into my VI (specifying a folder where I wanted to place the "saved as 8.6" VI and ran it.
  4. Closed the 2009 VI (kept my VI open).
  5. Opened the newly created 8.6 VI and made a small change.
  6. Reran my VI.
  7. Closed the modified 8.6 VI without saving it as 2009.
  8. Opened the newly "saved as 8.6" VI and verified it was the one with the change made.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 29
(1,290 Views)