LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I continue to save for previous version?

Bryan,

Sorry I missed the Windows 7 requirement.  It looks like you are right on the "(b)leading edge" of technology!

Bryan52803 wrote:

Well is it possible to transform this thread into one long, drawn out suggestion for a patch?

My situation aside, it is very common in the engineering realm (as I'm sure you all know) to have to work with files developed on older software versions. Many times it's not prudent to convert files in the middle of the project if a software upgrade is performed. Though ideally nothing should be affected, I've learned the hard way many times this is potentially not the case

Thanks again for everyone's help.

I'm not sure that a "Patch" would help your situation.  I do believe that the current "save> for previous version"offering is suitable for MOST applications but, your situation is relatively unique.  You are in a multi-developer environment, without a common code repository, co-developing instruments utilizing an OS with features unanticipated by the LV8.6.1 development team at NI.  Meanwhile, you have made a leap in technology ahead of the team you co-develop with.

An anologious situation would be as if; one member of a rowing team is using a 50HP outboard motor while the rest of the crew had oars. Teamwork in situations like this is a bit tricky.

OK, summating the issue helps define the scope but, does not resolve your situation.  Having never been in you exact position I can only offer a blunt summation of contributing factors that have lead to your frustration.  "IDE discontinuity imposed by inconsistant OS's among the development team."

Logic would tend to dictate the simplest solution would not include redesign of the IDE to ease your burden.  Instead consider the questions;

1. Have I, as a member of this development team, made choices that limit my contributions?
  2. What factors do I have control of that could lead to a resolution?

The answers lead inescabably to a conclusion that either you or the university need to change OS or, that you will need to take extra steps to remain a contributor to your team's project.  Thankfully, those steps can be taken, even though it does not appear to be "painless."

The above aside, NI may consider impoving the save. for... functionality.  I encourage any party to reason out a case, suggest a form/feel, and post on the idea exchange.

Kindly link in a reply to this post- I'm curious what ideas some of this threads contributors come up with!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 21 of 29
(1,654 Views)
smercurio_fc-- Sorry for the late reply; I had to wait until I bounced between two machines to test it out. While this worked for the main VI, it did not save the sub-VI's that the main one reference. Is there a way to do this as well using your save VI?

Jeff-- I'd argue as before that while my situation may indeed be unique, there is most certainly a need for maintaining versions in real-world engineering environments. I think it's not a feature, but rather a foolish and unnecessary burden on the user to automatically up-convert files upon opening, especially given that the only warning to people unfamiliar with the software is an asterisk in the title bar. Suggesting the university or myself change OSs is simply an absurd dodging of the real problem at hand. And please, while I appreciate the help, spare me of the patronizing marketing-jargon-esque analogy that contributes nothing to resolving the issue; clearly I've already purchased your product and thus there is no need to sell me on it.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 29
(1,639 Views)

Bryan52803 wrote:
smercurio_fc-- Sorry for the late reply; I had to wait until I bounced between two machines to test it out. While this worked for the main VI, it did not save the sub-VI's that the main one reference. Is there a way to do this as well using your save VI?

There is, but it obviously requires more work. You could use the App.AllVIs to save all VIs in memory (except for vi.lib VIs) for a previous version. Or, if you have a project you could recursively walk through the project to get your list of VIs to save. Either way you want to make sure you keep the same directory structure when saving. Attached is a VI I quickly wrote up that implements the first method. You may need to tweak it to handle any special cases you may have.

Jeff-- I'd argue as before that while my situation may indeed be unique, there is most certainly a need for maintaining versions in real-world engineering environments. I think it's not a feature, but rather a foolish and unnecessary burden on the user to automatically up-convert files upon opening, especially given that the only warning to people unfamiliar with the software is an asterisk in the title bar. Suggesting the university or myself change OSs is simply an absurd dodging of the real problem at hand. And please, while I appreciate the help, spare me of the patronizing marketing-jargon-esque analogy that contributes nothing to resolving the issue; clearly I've already purchased your product and thus there is no need to sell me on it.

Nobody is saying that the situation can't be improved. I also agree that it sould be improved. However, Jeff makes a very valid point regarding your situation, regardless of how much you may not like it. I personally don't think he was patronizing you - he was basically telling you that sometimes you are the one who has to change because the tool sometimes can't. 

Oh, and Jeff does not work for NI, along with about 95% of the people, including me. We are virtually all volunteers who take time out of our lives and jobs to help people. Something to consider. 

Message 23 of 29
(1,627 Views)

His signature icon made me think otherwise. I also work in business so I know sometimes it's hard to turn off the "pitch" when speaking to other people. Regardless of his current employment status, I apologize for my reaction both to Jeff personally and everyone else. Sorry. I'm just frustrated with the current situation, but it looks as if theres some promise with your VI. Thanks again for taking the time. I should have enough to tailor it to my situation at present.

Once I have more time (ie this project is completed), I'll formally submit a suggestion for a change. Thanks again.

Message 24 of 29
(1,621 Views)

Bryan52803 wrote:

His signature icon made me think otherwise.

Nah - he just like to flaunt his accredidation. Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy 

Just kidding, Jeff!! Smiley Wink

Once I have more time (ie this project is completed), I'll formally submit a suggestion for a change. Thanks again.

The LabVIEW Idea Exchange is the best place to do this. You don't have to submit anything formal, as a short gander through the suggestions made in there show.

Message 25 of 29
(1,616 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

Bryan52803 wrote:

His signature icon made me think otherwise.

Nah - he just like to flaunt his accredidation. Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy 

Just kidding, Jeff!! Smiley Wink

The LabVIEW Idea Exchange is the best place to do this. You don't have to submit anything formal, as a short gander through the suggestions made in there show.

Well- if you got it..... And Yes, I am proudly CLAD!

Bryan- Sorry, if I sounded patronizing it was purely unintentional.  Pleas attribute it to an attempt at meaningful discourse while attempting brevity.  I should have modified the tagline in my signature-  Circuit Check is pretty busy these days.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 26 of 29
(1,578 Views)

I know its against forum rules to dig up old posts but it is 2021 and THIS PROBLEM IS STILL THE SAME. F*** me.

Since I can only Post twice in the first 24h iam putting my answer in this edit.

I have a friend who is working with 2016 and Iam working with 2020 on the same project. The problem is exactly the same bryan had 12 years ago.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 29
(930 Views)

Hi Philipps,

@Philipps wrote:

I know its against forum rules to dig up old posts but it is 2021 and THIS PROBLEM IS STILL THE SAME. F*** me.

What exactly is your problem?

Do you still work with LV2009 and LV8.6 as stated in first message from December 2009?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 29
(927 Views)

If you view Save for Previous as Export to ver X it's easier to get your head around.

You have your LV X folder and work in that, whenever you need to transfer code, Export it with "Save for previous" to another folder. Never ever open and modify the exported code.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 29 of 29
(905 Views)