From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I automatically make new front panels and block diagrams a certain size and screen position, like able to fit on a 1024 x 768 screen?

I'm studying for the CLD and I notice that one of the requirements is this:

Develop block diagrams to fit a screen resolution of 1024 x 768.

When I create a new VI, its resolution is slightly too big: 1110 x 768.

When I create a subVI via the menu item Edit >> Create SubVI, it is way too small: 800 x 543.

For both methods of creating new VIs, I would like to specify both the screen position and window size. But if that is not possible in LabVIEW, I'd like a quick way to make this happen. I see some property nodes for VIs where I could write a subVI that could do this for the front panel, but that is awkward. And it does not apply to block diagrams.

Is there a clever way to do these things?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,080 Views)

@bmihura wrote:

I'm studying for the CLD and I notice that one of the requirements is this:

Develop block diagrams to fit a screen resolution of 1024 x 768.

When I create a new VI, its resolution is slightly too big: 1110 x 768.

When I create a subVI via the menu item Edit >> Create SubVI, it is way too small: 800 x 543.

For both methods of creating new VIs, I would like to specify both the screen position and window size. But if that is not possible in LabVIEW, I'd like a quick way to make this happen. I see some property nodes for VIs where I could write a subVI that could do this for the front panel, but that is awkward. And it does not apply to block diagrams.

Is there a clever way to do these things?

It doesn't mean the default size of the window. It means once your code is complete, your block diagram should be small enough that you can see all your code when its on a monitor of that resolution. Before you test, set your computer monitor resolution to 1024x768. Write your code. If all the code on your block diagram can be seen without scrolling, you will be fine. They won't measure this explicitly. They are basically just saying "you shouldn't have a huge block diagram."

Message 2 of 4
(2,076 Views)

If you do not want to reset your screen resolution, then drop a Flat Frame decoration on your block diagram.  Expand it to something slightly smaller than the size you want. Remember that the size of the decoration is smaller than the window or screen. Make your code fit inside the decoration and you will be fine. It is probably best to delete the decoration before submitting the exam so the graders do not wonder why it is there.

Afterthought.  Do this for one VI. Get it to the size you like. Then duplicate this VI for all your subVIs and the size should be the same.

Lynn

Message 3 of 4
(2,064 Views)

OK, now that's the kind of clever I was looking for; thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,050 Views)